Possible problem with Solaris C++ compiler

Possible problem with Solaris C++ compiler

Post by Mark Burges » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Sorry for posting a compiler specific problem to a general newsgroup. If
anyone knows a more appropriate group to post to: Please let me know.

I am attempting to build an application using a locally compiled version
of the Xerces XML SAX parser using version 5.0.of the SparcWorks C++
compiler under Solaris 2.5.1.

The program runs fine, if unexpectely slowly, when build with debug and
shows no errors under Purify. However when I build it with any
optimisation set, it core dumps.

The error I get from purify is Zero page write which occurs in the
destructor for the base class for an exception. It appears to be
attempting to destroy an object with a null 'this' pointer.

Has anyone experienced this sort of behavior before, and/or knows if the
sun optimiser does anything strange with exceptions, I would be very
interested to hear.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Mark Burgess

Post by Ian Collin » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> Sorry for posting a compiler specific problem to a general newsgroup. If
> anyone knows a more appropriate group to post to: Please let me know.

> I am attempting to build an application using a locally compiled version
> of the Xerces XML SAX parser using version 5.0.of the SparcWorks C++
> compiler under Solaris 2.5.1.

> The program runs fine, if unexpectely slowly, when build with debug and
> shows no errors under Purify. However when I build it with any
> optimisation set, it core dumps.

> The error I get from purify is Zero page write which occurs in the
> destructor for the base class for an exception. It appears to be
> attempting to destroy an object with a null 'this' pointer.

> Has anyone experienced this sort of behavior before, and/or knows if the
> sun optimiser does anything strange with exceptions, I would be very
> interested to hear.

I have never seen problems like this.  All I can sugest is to make sure
you have the latest compiler and OS (libC and friends) patches installed.

Even with optimised code, you can still run the prog under the Workshop
de*.

    Ian

Post by Paul Blac » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> > Sorry for posting a compiler specific problem to a general newsgroup. If
> > anyone knows a more appropriate group to post to: Please let me know.

> > I am attempting to build an application using a locally compiled version
> > of the Xerces XML SAX parser using version 5.0.of the SparcWorks C++
> > compiler under Solaris 2.5.1.

> > The program runs fine, if unexpectely slowly, when build with debug and
> > shows no errors under Purify. However when I build it with any
> > optimisation set, it core dumps.

> > The error I get from purify is Zero page write which occurs in the
> > destructor for the base class for an exception. It appears to be
> > attempting to destroy an object with a null 'this' pointer.

> > Has anyone experienced this sort of behavior before, and/or knows if the
> > sun optimiser does anything strange with exceptions, I would be very
> > interested to hear.

> I have never seen problems like this.

I've seen something similar. It was due to pointers being used oast the end
of an array (I think) and other memory getting corrupted.

Paul

Possible problem with Solaris C++ compiler

Post by Andrew Watkin » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> > > The error I get from purify is Zero page write which occurs in the
> > > destructor for the base class for an exception. It appears to be
> > > attempting to destroy an object with a null 'this' pointer.

> > > Has anyone experienced this sort of behavior before, and/or knows if the
> > > sun optimiser does anything strange with exceptions, I would be very
> > > interested to hear.

> > I have never seen problems like this.

As already said make sure you have the latest libC and C++ patches.
Also, if you feel you have time to kill why not check out Version 6.0 beta
        http://access1.sun.com/workshop6ea

Andrew Watkins

Possible problem with Solaris C++ compiler

Post by Andrew Watkin » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> > > The error I get from purify is Zero page write which occurs in the
> > > destructor for the base class for an exception. It appears to be
> > > attempting to destroy an object with a null 'this' pointer.

> > > Has anyone experienced this sort of behavior before, and/or knows if the
> > > sun optimiser does anything strange with exceptions, I would be very
> > > interested to hear.

> > I have never seen problems like this.

As already said make sure you have the latest libC and C++ patches.
Also, if you feel you have time to kill why not check out Version 6.0 beta
        http://access1.sun.com/workshop6ea

Andrew Watkins

Possible problem with Solaris C++ compiler

Post by Jane Gra » Wed, 08 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Sendmail Slow - Symptoms:
 I looked in the maillog file and noticed that one message ( [10311]  for my
example) had over 3 hours of delay by the time it finished processing.  It looks
like the sendmail program goes through all the recipients of the outgoing e-mail
and groups the recipients according to the receiving host (e.g. xxx.yyy.com;
yyy.zzz.com - etc.).

I spoke with the sender to ask about the e-mails & recipient info.  He stated that
there are over 700 e-mail addresses per message sent (on average) and he has one
big e-mail group (not broken down by domain or anything).

I started looking at the sendmail.cf file and noticed that there are files in
/etc/mail that pertain to relays (which is how the sendmail program groups the
individual e-mail recipients - I believe).
If  I were to add recipient  IP addresses / domain names to any of these files
would it speed up the processing of these types of e-mails?

Anyone have the kind of probem & if so, what did you do to fix??

Thanks,
Jane T. Gray
Unix System Administator
SAIC

Possible problem with Solaris C++ compiler

Post by Kjetil Torgrim Homm » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I think you should try over at comp.sys.cbm instead.  ;-)

<URL:http://www.heilbronn.netsurf.de/~dallmann/lunix/lng_shot.html>

Kjetil T.

1. Possible patch for C++ 4.2 compiler on Solaris 2.6?

Recently our users notice that, some C++ functionality with using
template do not work well when  compiled in Solaris 2.6 but no problem
in other UNIX platform server such as DEC OSF 4.0E. Once there is a
complex class hierrachy using inheritance and template, the type
binding information lost when it pass down the children class, as a
results no function is overloaded at the lower level because the type
information can not be found.

Just wonder if there is any patches for the sun compiler.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. I need a token-ring card!

3. Are sun studio C/C++ compilers and Forte C/C++ compilers same ??

4. IBM RS6000 Type 7249-860 Laptop

5. HP C++ Compiler and possible bug?

6. how can i make run motorola sm56k modem?

7. Problem with Solaris C++ compiler

8. Top posters of comp.os.linux.x

9. Problems with Solaris C++ compiler

10. Sun Workshop 5 C++ compiler problem on Solaris 8

11. how to include C++ header files when using Forte 6 C++ compiler?

12. Could I compile "c" source with a C++ compiler (Forte C++ Update 2)?

13. C++ compilers, NIH C++ class lib