Bug in ttymon or serial device driver with Solaris 2.6

Bug in ttymon or serial device driver with Solaris 2.6

Post by Ralph Zelle » Thu, 27 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi folks,

since three days I want to configure my serial line for dial in/out
(bidirectional) usage. But it seems do be impossible to use tip or cu
for outdialing until the portmanager (ttymon) is running for incoming
calls.

My configuration:

Ultra30, Solaris 2.6

1. eeprom:
ttyb-rts-dtr-off=true
ttyb-ignore-cd=true
ttyb-mode=38400,8,n,1,h

2. sacadm:
sacadm -a -p zsmon -t ttymon -c /usr/lib/saf/ttymon -v `ttyadm -V`

3. pmadm:
/usr/sbin/pmadm -a -p zsmon -s ttyb -i root -fu -v `/usr/sbin/ttyadm -V`
\
  -m "`/usr/sbin/ttyadm -b -S n -d /dev/term/b -s /usr/bin/login \
  -l contty6H -m ldterm,ttcompat -T vt100 -i 'Terminal disabled.' \
  -p "modem login: " `" -y "dial in/out on serial port"

4. /etc/ttydefs
contty6H:38400 -parity opost onlcr:38400 sane -parity crtscts
hupcl::contty6H

5. /etc/remote
modem2:\
        :dv=/dev/cua/b:br#38400:

6. owner of /dev/term/b: root:tty
7. owner of /dev/cua/b:  uucp:tty
8. permissions of /dev/term/b and /dev/cua/b: 666
9. No lock files in /var/spool/locks
10. fuser /dev/term/b and fuser /dev/cua/b shows no processes on the
devices

Dial-in under this configuration works perfectly, but if I want to
dial-out with tip I get a "all ports busy" error-message. To avoid this
I must enter:

sacadm -k -p zsmon
tip modem2
sacadm -s -p zsmon

The problem is that sacadm can be run as root only. This makes it for
normal users impossible to dial out. But I need a dial-out feature for
normal users.

I know this is an old problem under Solaris with no detailed solution on
it. For me there are two possible reasons why the portmonitor and tip
won't work together:
1. ttymon polls the device too fast, so tip has no chance to get the
device.
2. ttymon opens the device with an ioctl-open command that locks the
device.

For me there are two possible solutions:
1. Remove this bug(!) from ttymon (or serial device driver)
2. Exchange the portmonitor mechnism with a freely available getty
program that works with Solaris 2.6. Does anybody know one?

Greetings, Ralph.
--
University of Vienna
Institute of Business Administration

1. Anyone have written devices/drivers/module on solaris 2.6?

        Dear folks,
                as title, Has anyone ever written the DLPI driver/modules?
        If you did, please give me a message. I've some questions about
        DLPI.
                I would be much appreciated recieving your reply.

        sincrely,
        Stewart H.

2. Stupid Americans! -- Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!! _____________ hepsa

3. Solaris 2.6 device driver problem

4. Found 254

5. x86 SOLARIS 2.6 device driver.

6. Boot-up problem with Solaris 2.5 x86

7. Solaris 2.6 device driver problem

8. Catch 22

9. Pseudo Device Driver for Solaris 2.6

10. Solaris patch/bug report question and Solaris 2.6/7 feature

11. Bug in kernel logging; wide-spread device driver bug

12. Errors compiling Wingz 1.4 Add-ins (Linux 1.3.99, GCC 2.6)

13. can't read Solaris 2.6 x86 hard disk on Solaris 2.6 Ultra-1 ?!?