actimeo=0 ?

Post by Soonam Kah » Sat, 08 Mar 1997 04:00:00

What is this warning means and what should I do ?

syslog: WARNING: /var/mail is NFS-mounted without setting actimeo=0
syslog: this can cause mailbox locking and access problems.

TIA

<Soonam>

actimeo=0 ?

Post by w.. » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>What is this warning means and what should I do ?

>syslog: WARNING: /var/mail is NFS-mounted without setting actimeo=0
>syslog: this can cause mailbox locking and access problems.

This means exactly what it says.  Mounting /var/mail without turning
off the attribute cache can confuse the locking mechanisms that mail
programs use to lock the mail spool file.  Make sure your NFS mounts
for /var/mail use either "actimeo=0" or "noac" (they are synonymous).

--
                                William LeFebvre
                                Group sys Consulting

                                +1 770 813 3224

actimeo=0 ?

Post by Karl Schend » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> What is this warning means and what should I do ?

> syslog: WARNING: /var/mail is NFS-mounted without setting actimeo=0
> syslog: this can cause mailbox locking and access problems.

It means you should put actimeo=0 in your vfstab line that NFS-mounts
/var/mail.  Mailtool operates by checking file times, and if your
machine is caching file attributes (including file times), you won't
see updates happening properly when the server does them on the other end.
By setting actimeo=0 you turn off attribute caching so that mail
works properly.

karl

1. /var/mail & NFS actimeo

When NFS mounting /var/mail from a server, what NFS mount options should
be used?  I've quickly seen our desktops complain about actimeo not being
set (or not being set to 0).

Why is /var/mail so special (I assume it's due to file locking)?

Currently /etc/vfstab has /var/mail mounted as:

xyz:/var/spool/mail  -  /var/mail       nfs     -       yes     rw,bg

Thanks!

2. ugh. Package manager?

3. actimeo=0

4. DEC OSF audit record format.