Bad magic number in disk label

Post by Alan M. Feldstei » Tue, 31 May 2005 01:30:41

To upgrade a Sun Blade 150 workstation from Solaris 9 to 10, I bought
the DVD-ROM from Sun. The Sun Blade 150 comes with a DVD-ROM drive. The
Solaris 10 installation instructions tell me:

Start the Solaris installation program.

     *

       To boot from the local DVD or CD and start the Solaris
installation GUI, type the following command.

ok boot cdrom

-------
ok boot cdrom

Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device

ok
-------

Certainly Sun wouldn't sell me a DVD-ROM that is incompatible with their
own DVD-ROM drive!

Alan Feldstein
Cosmic Horizon
http://www.alanfeldstein.com/

Bad magic number in disk label

Post by Alan M. Feldstei » Tue, 31 May 2005 02:51:18

Never mind. I just noticed that 2 DVD-ROMs were shipped, one for SPARC
and one for x86. The observed behavior is a symptom of using the x86
DVD-ROM in a SPARC computer.

Alan Feldstein
Cosmic Horizon
http://www.alanfeldstein.com/