Booting from SCSI disk on an Ultra 5

Post by Andrew Gabri » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have an Ultra 5 with the dual channel symbios SCSI card
in it. I have installed Solaris 7 on a SCSI disk on ID 0
on the first SCSI channel, but did not allow the install
to change the eeprom to boot from this by default because
the installation on the internal disk will remain the main
system which is run.

However, I can't work out what device name I should use
to boot from the external SCSI disk. I've tried:

In all cases, the error from OBP is "Can't open boot device".
Looking at the drive activity light, I don't think any attempt
is being made to access the drive at all (other than when all
the SCSI devices are reset) during the boot attempt.

I've looked back over dejanews, and realise that I must have
recent OBP for this to work, so I downloaded the patch, and
the versions in flash-update-Ultra510-06 are the same as those
in the Ultra's flash memory anyway (OBP 3.15.2, POST 2.3.1).

I can mount the filesystems on the SCSI disk without any problem
from both the install CD and the system running off the internal
IDE drive.

Help - I'm now out of ideas...  :-(

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

Booting from SCSI disk on an Ultra 5

Post by Gary Chamber » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Andrew...

Quote:> I can mount the filesystems on the SCSI disk without any problem
> from both the install CD and the system running off the internal IDE
> drive.

Does the drive have the boot block information on it?  Take a look at
the installboot command (and man page).

Gary Chambers

//------------------------------------------
// NetQuarters, Inc., Brunswick, ME 04011
// 207-798-8400 (Voice) 207-798-8403 (Fax)
// *QUALITY* Internet Services for Maine
//------------------------------------------

Booting from SCSI disk on an Ultra 5

Post by Andrew Gabri » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have an Ultra 5 with the dual channel symbios SCSI card
>in it. I have installed Solaris 7 on a SCSI disk on ID 0
>on the first SCSI channel, but did not allow the install
>to change the eeprom to boot from this by default because
>the installation on the internal disk will remain the main
>system which is run.

>However, I can't work out what device name I should use
>to boot from the external SCSI disk.

Thanks for the replies, here and e-mailed. The answer is:

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

1. Restoring Ultra 2 mirrored boot disk to Ultra 5

Hello,

I am trying to restore a mirrored Ultra 2 boot disk to an Ultra 5 system.
I have performed the following steps:
1. Partition new disk
2. ufsrestore the backup of Ultra 2
3. change vfstab
4. remove mirroring lines from system(MDD root info/MDD database info)
5. boot cdrom -sw
6. install boot sector
7. Restore devlinks as per infodoc 16311

When I boot the new disk for the first time, I get:
INIT: Cannot create /var/adm/utmp or /var/adm/utmpx

INIT: failed write of utmpx entry:"  "

INIT: failed write of utmpx entry:"  "

INIT: SINGLE USER MODE

but it doesnt let me enter Single user mode.

Any one have any ideas?

Regards,

Piyush

2. X vs Y vs Z vs ...

3. Boot disk and Root disk images for the AHA 2940 W Ultra

4. mkdev serial problem in 5.0.4

5. Ultra SCSI disk on Fast SCSI Controller?

6. Too many lib* files? Which ones used? Stupid human tricks...

7. SCSI-3w vs SCSI-ultra-wide hard disk

8. Redhat 7.1 and Xircom XE2000 ethernet adapter -- any experience?

9. 9Gbyte SCSI disc as boot disc with 1106 cylinders

10. Q : Only SCSI disks + Disk formatting + BIOS boot sector

11. 9Gbyte SCSI disc as boot disc with 1106 cylinders

12. Booting scsi disks in 2 IDE disk systems

13. Boot disk for SCSI(Q-Logic) w/non SCSI CD