bug in select function with GNU GCC 2.5.8 on Solaris 2.4?

bug in select function with GNU GCC 2.5.8 on Solaris 2.4?

Post by Julian Ro » Tue, 20 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I seem to have a problem with the select() function call using GNU GCC
compiler version 2.5.8 on Solaris version 2.4 and would like to know if
anyone else has seen this. In summary, multiple select()s testing for
read availability on a socket behaves oddly.

A simple test illustrates my problem - write a socket program that connects
to a remote-end echo server, writes some data, say 500 bytes, and select()s
and read()s the data back. A single select() and multiple read()s works fine,
but a sequence of select(), read() and then select(), read() again does not
work so well. What happens is that the second select() times after which
the data is indicated available, rather than returning immediately.

1. By using etherfind (on another SunOS machine) I know data is being
transmitted as expected on the network.

2. I have reset the arguments to select() correctly.

3. The same source compiled under SunOS 4.1.3 with GCC 2.5.8 works fine
on any SunOS or Solaris 2.3 machine, but fails likewise on a Solaris 2.4
machine. Hence I suspect Solaris 2.4 is at fault in some way w.r.t. the
select() implementation.

Can someone assist or tell me if I'm being dumb here? Much appreciated.

1. Bug in select() on Solaris 2.4?

I've heard rumours that there is a bug in the implementation of
the select() call under Solaris 2.4.

Do anyone positively know wether this is true or false, and in case its
true, how to work around the bug?

(I will also try to call Sun, but sometimes Usenet is the fastest and
most unbiased way to get an answer :)

Best regards,
Filip Larsen, M.Sc.(Eng.), Computer and Computational Science

2. Solaris x86 and USB

3. GNU gcc (2.6.3) on Solaris 2.4 x86

4. Scanner permissions that seem right

5. GNU GCC-2.6.3 on SPARC Solaris 2.4

6. ESP Agent info. wanted

7. Bug in qsort-function under Solaris 2.4 ?

8. Multiple publishers, security question

9. gcc compile bug on Solaris 2.4 x86

10. Any compare of Solaris 2.4-> Solaris 2.5 bugs fixed/introduced??

11. SA_RESTART and Solaris 2.3/2.4 "select()"

12. select statement in Solaris 2.4

13. Help: select() system call does not work in Solaris 2.4