If you're looking for the "cheapest" solution for a 1-CPU system, buy a
dumb PC and run Linux on it. If you need more, buy a Sun and be happy
__ . . __
/O /==\ O\ MPEG specialist, C&&JAVA&&Sun&&Unix programmer
(;O/ \/ \O;) TEL +49 (0) 641/99-13193 FAX +49 (0) 641/99-41359
You may be comparing CPU performance. You need to take intoQuote:> the hardware price between Sun sparce and some PC server,
> the Sun sparc is almost 3 times than the PC server with
> the same performance.
Go with Sun, and be happy!Quote:> Any suggestion about my choice is appreciated !
NT tries to do almost everything UNIX does, but fails - miserably.
The use of Windoze cripples the mind; its use should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offence. (With apologies to Edsger W. Dijkstra)
If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.
Voice: +1 (250) 763-6205
1. Opinions Wanted: Solaris 2.4 vs. AIX vs. HP/UX vs AT&T Sys5v4
We are presently evaluating UNIX file servers for nationwide distribution
and retail centers. The following vendor platforms are in the race:
IBM RS6000 AIX 3.2.5
HP 9000 HP/UX (not sure of the version, I think 9 or 10)
SUN 1000 Solaris 2.4
AT&T 3450 System 5v.4 (modified, I think)
Anyone performed a similar evalution or have opinions, please let me know.
2. FDISK:: Extended partition VS Logical question
3. sparc (ultra sparc) solaris 8 vs. intel solaris 8 comparison
4. BUG in ext2 file-system (2.0.33 kernel): tried to extend a file using lseek
5. SunOS 5.6 vs Solaris 2.6 vs Solaris 7 vs Solaris 8
6. Question on good hardware terminals
7. Evaluation pointers: x86-Solaris vs x86-NT vs SPARC-Solaris
9. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc
10. SPARC-station running Solaris vs PC-station running Linux
11. x86 Solaris vs Sparc Solaris
12. Intel solaris vs Sparc solaris
13. SPARC Solaris vs Solaris x86