Wiping data

Post by Hans Westerbac » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 23:27:56

Hej,

is  there any easy way of making a previously used disk appear empty?
That is if we want to reuse old disks on other systems, and want to
avoid having someone just mounting a partition and finding data on it.
I mean of course, if you're into it you can probably always recover data
by dumping disk blocks or something, but is there any easy way to make
the disk appear empty?
Change partition table?

Rgds,
Hans Westerback

Wiping data

Post by Logan Sh » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 14:09:38

Quote:>is  there any easy way of making a previously used disk appear empty?
>That is if we want to reuse old disks on other systems, and want to
>avoid having someone just mounting a partition and finding data on it.
>I mean of course, if you're into it you can probably always recover data
>by dumping disk blocks or something, but is there any easy way to make
>the disk appear empty?

Method #1:  Use the surface analysis stuff in "format" to write test
            patterns on the disk.

Method #2:  As cypher said, Delete the files then create a big file
            that uses all the disk space.

Method #3:  Use "dd" to write zeros to the partition.

Method #4:  Run "newfs"; only knowledgeable people can still get data.

Hope that helps.

  - Logan
--
"In order to be prepared to hope in what does not deceive,
 we must first lose hope in everything that deceives."

                                          Georges Bernanos

Wiping data

Post by Lia » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 23:20:21

> >is  there any easy way of making a previously used disk appear empty?
> >That is if we want to reuse old disks on other systems, and want to
> >avoid having someone just mounting a partition and finding data on it.
> >I mean of course, if you're into it you can probably always recover data
> >by dumping disk blocks or something, but is there any easy way to make
> >the disk appear empty?

> Method #1:  Use the surface analysis stuff in "format" to write test
>             patterns on the disk.

> Method #2:  As cypher said, Delete the files then create a big file
>        that uses all the disk space.

> Method #3:  Use "dd" to write zeros to the partition.

> Method #4:  Run "newfs"; only knowledgeable people can still get data.

> Hope that helps.

>   - Logan

You,

Can also use the format command with the verify option. This will
write data into each and every block to verify the block is good.

Liam

1. HELP: Wiped partition table and want to recover data

Help!

SUMMARY: partition table wiped out, data still intact, need to fix
drive so that it can be read by Dos with long filenames

I was setting up some partitions in Linux and managed to wipe the
partition table on my 1.2g hard drive.  I wiped it out either using
Linux fdisk or by mounting it improperly - "mount /dev/hda -t vfat".

I had one primary partition that took up the entire drive, so I know
how big the partition should be.  I think that my data is intact (I
can see what appear to be Windows FAT entries and what are obviously
files if I look at the raw data on the drive).  The partition was
formatted for Dos using a Win95 extended FAT.  I should be able to
recreate the partition table information using Dos fdisk, but what
else do I need to change to get my data back?  I don't think that just
recreating the partition information is enough.

I tried the following on a different drive:
Dos fdisk -> create 10meg primary partition
Dos format partition
Add some files
Linux fdisk -> delete partition
Dos fdisk -> recreate partition
Try to access partition in Dos -> "Invalid media"

I think that I basically need to do the following:
Recreate partition table
Fix any things that Dos looks for (like some media type byte
somewhere)

Does anyone have any advice or know of products that might be helpful?
I've got some files on the drive that I'd like to get back...  Please

Thanks,

        - Mike.

MORAL: Using linux fdisk at 2:30AM can be a bad thing.

2. Postgres95 with supplied make?

3. URGENT: Data recovery from partial disk wipe-out

4. rzsz and high speed modems

5. Fdisk question - will i wipe out my data?

6. Help: Linux won't recognize my modem

7. Ellison: Linux Will Wipe Microsoft Out Of The Data Center

8. CL5428-2MB and svgalib.1.2.10

9. I wiped his data, now what?

10. data data data

11. Need assist with Interface Data Inc.'s Data X-change Tools

12. Production Release of ESD E14: Engineering Scientific Data Libraries and Data Utilities

13. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP