Dual Heads (well actually one head, and a VT320)

Dual Heads (well actually one head, and a VT320)

Post by Axxi » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I have a Sparc 10 with Solaris 7 here at home, with a standard Sun Head
on it, and that is no problem. I'd like to add a VT320 terminal I have
on to /dev/cua. I almost have it working but would like some
suggestions, before I "fix" it. I can do a "/etc/getty cua 9600" and I
get a login prompt on the terminal, it won't let me login and gives me:

No utmpx entry. You must exec "login" from the lowest level shell.

Before I just add this to a script in /etc/rc3.d. What am I missing?
last time I played with dual terminals like this it was SunOS 4.1.3 so
I'm a little rusty.

--
[www.nerdhive.org]

Directory: /export/org/nerdhive         Shell: /bin/sh
Project: To fully calculate the value of pi, before I die.

Dual Heads (well actually one head, and a VT320)

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>I have a Sparc 10 with Solaris 7 here at home, with a standard Sun Head
>on it, and that is no problem. I'd like to add a VT320 terminal I have
>on to /dev/cua. I almost have it working but would like some
>suggestions, before I "fix" it. I can do a "/etc/getty cua 9600" and I
>get a login prompt on the terminal, it won't let me login and gives me:

/dev/cua is a dialout device, you should use /dev/term/a.

Quote:>No utmpx entry. You must exec "login" from the lowest level shell.
>Before I just add this to a script in /etc/rc3.d. What am I missing?
>last time I played with dual terminals like this it was SunOS 4.1.3 so
>I'm a little rusty.

Easiest way to do this, IMHO, is starting admintool and using that.
Kill the getty process first. (Select "Serial Ports" under the "Browse"
menu and double click the tty you want to enable)

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by Logan Sh » Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:00:00

>I'd like to add a VT320 terminal I have
>on to /dev/cua.

  :
  :

Quote:>last time I played with dual terminals like this it was SunOS 4.1.3 so
>I'm a little rusty.

Well, SunOS 4.1.3 is alot different from Solaris 7 on this point, so it
doesn't matter all that much if you're rusty.  :-)

Basically, the steps are:

  * Do a "pmadm -l".
  * Do a "man pmadm".
  * Do a "pmadm -l" again.
  * Do some other "pmadm" command to turn on what you want.
  * Also, a "man ttymon" wouldn't hurt.

Or use admintool like Casper suggests, although I personally try to
avoid admintool.

Hope that helps.

  - Logan

Dual Heads (well actually one head, and a VT320)

Post by Rich Tee » Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Or use admintool like Casper suggests, although I personally try to
> avoid admintool.

When I did some consulting for Sun a couple of years ago, some of my
colleagues referred to admintool and admin suite as adminstool and
admin shite respectively!  :-)

--
Rich Teer

NT tries to do almost everything UNIX does, but fails - miserably.

The use of Windoze cripples the mind; its use should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offence.  (With apologies to Edsger W. Dijkstra)

If it ain't analogue, it ain't music.

Voice: +1 (250) 763-6205
WWW: www.rite-group.com

1. Dual headed X - vmware on one head, X11 on the other?

Anyone know if you can run X dual-headed - with VMware (Win2k or XP
pro, in my case) taking up the entire screen of one head, and X on the
other head?  Accelerated would be preferred, but even
non-accelerated...

i think it'd be an awesome way to flex my new athlonxp 1800's
muscles.. linux and a windows VM on two monitors simultaenously... =)

Gabe

2. Q: dup(2)

3. Dual Head, no Xinerama, one mouse?

4. IPFW & NATD, please help me

5. ihhd (internet head to head dailer)

6. Can Linux be an MSP Client for all protocols?

7. dual CDE desktops on dual head 2.6

8. Linux Disk Encription

9. dual head + dual card: agp nvidia/geforce_256 and pci s3virge

10. On-board ATI Rage Pro in dual-head configuration

11. x86 2.5 - dual-headed?

12. dual-head with Xinerama - please help

13. Problem with Solaris 10 x86, Matrox G450 Dual Head, X.org and Xinerama