Sparc Server 1000 HUNG?

Post by Chen. Jay. 286-24 » Wed, 21 Sep 1994 22:14:37

Hi Netters:

Sparc Server 1000 hung once a while.  Machine is a router.  It got
a le and 2 FDDI connections.  After hung up, I did the core dump
analysis and found in.routed daemon occupied most of the CPU time.
Server was installed SOLARIS 2.3.

Has anybody experienced this problem?

Please HELP.

THANKS.

Jay Chen
Code 562.7 NASA GSFC
Greenbelt, MD 20771
(301) 286-9056

1. Sparc Server 1000 slow to move memory

I finally tried to measure memory move speed on our Sparc Server 1000.
It has 4 50MHz cpu modules (TI,TMS390Z55 from prtconf) .

What I find is that when I use my own version of memcpy, (which I am
pretty proud of, a lot better on big transfers than the one in the C
library) I find that a Sparc 10 with a 40MHz (TI,TMS390Z50) runs 20%
faster.  With suns own memcpy the sparc 10 is about 30 % faster (its
speed is dependent on alignment and cache collisions).

Now I have read these white papers about this fantastic XDbus, with
throughput up to 250MB/s. I have also studied this magnificent cache
management.

I have also read about this bcopy/bzero accelerators. Where are they?
Not in the c library memcpy at least. But from my device writer
experience I have not seen anything very fast. Are they used somewhere
in the kernel under Solaris 2.2? Under Solaris 2.3 ?

Now doing memcpy of memory around is not very useful. But I have an
application that reads a lot of memory, does a lot of bitfickling,
checks the data a bit and demultiplexes the data (turns a big matrix
around). Now this application moves data around as fast as my own
very much tuned memcpy (I hope) !

 I also see that even though the cpu should be 25% faster, this
application only speeds up less that 15%. Seems like I have hit the
memory move barrier.

One thing more. When I do several processes to move memory in paralell
the speed fell with 25 %. We should be prety far from the 250MB/s
limit of the XDBUS.

Comments ?

The numbers:

Copying 2 MB 100 times:
        on Sparc Server 1000: 10.5 seconds 19 MB/s on the fastest
                              12.5 seconds 16 MB/s on the slowest

Very dependent on small differences. Proberly becauce of cache lengths and collisions.

        on Sparc 10:          8.1 seconds  24.7 MB/s

--
Thorbj?rn Willoch                      | Schlumberger Geco-Prakla
Phone: +47-67575548                     | Jongs?svn 4

2. PPP under the 1.3.72 kernel - what do I need?

3. Unexpected errno from socket call on SPARC 1000 server

4. Announce: modutils 2.4.11 is available

5. Several keyboards on a Sparc Server 1000 ?

6. STREAMS mounting a file?

7. automount problems with patch 101945-29 on sparc server 1000

8. reduce fs size in rootvg

9. console & sun sparc server 1000

10. Sparc Server 1000 crashes with vn_rele: vnode ref count 0

11. RUNNING WABI FROM SPARC 1000 SERVER

12. SUN SPARC Server 1000 problem

13. SS-1000 hangs / df hangs