Need Intel Binary for Gzip (2.6)

Post by WORK! » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to install a somewhat faster browser than hotjava (Netscape). It
comes gzipped and the 2.6 solaris does not come with it.
I have tried using zcat and it does not work..

I have downloaded the supposedly gzip binary from the freeware dir of sun,
but it just says that the files are not gexe format and skips them. I've run
strings on it and it seems theres shell script embeded in the gzip binary
(is this normal?).

I have even tried to compile gzip from the source but Solaris does not even
come with a C compiler, sigh.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Hywel Walters
IT Officer
Oxford Unviersity

Need Intel Binary for Gzip (2.6)

Post by Buz » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998 16:10:50 -0000, "WORK!!"

>I am trying to install a somewhat faster browser than hotjava (Netscape). It
>comes gzipped and the 2.6 solaris does not come with it.
>I have tried using zcat and it does not work..

snip

I recently had similar problems, 1st point did you get the binaries
from the right architecture subdirectory ie x86/sparc for the right
solaris 2.5/2.6/7? 2nd, did you download in binary mode?

DAMHIKIJKOK
--

               The Ixion FAQ
http://www.harley-d.demon.co.uk/ixion/faq.html

Post by John Warre » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>I am trying to install a somewhat faster browser than hotjava (Netscape).
It
>comes gzipped and the 2.6 solaris does not come with it.
>I have tried using zcat and it does not work..

>I have downloaded the supposedly gzip binary from the freeware dir of sun,
>but it just says that the files are not gexe format and skips them. I've
run
>strings on it and it seems theres shell script embeded in the gzip binary
>(is this normal?).

I think I had to uncompress before using Gzip.? Did you do that?

Post by Shih-Ying Che » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I am trying to install a somewhat faster browser than hotjava (Netscape). It
> comes gzipped and the 2.6 solaris does not come with it.
> I have tried using zcat and it does not work..

> I have downloaded the supposedly gzip binary from the freeware dir of sun,
> but it just says that the files are not gexe format and skips them. I've run
> strings on it and it seems theres shell script embeded in the gzip binary
> (is this normal?).

after you download the binary gzip from sunfreeware, use the command to install
gzip

pkgadd -d <filename>

<filename> is the filename set by you when download gzip binary.
You probabaly ignore this instruction in the download page.

Need Intel Binary for Gzip (2.6)

Post by Ahme » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi
You can download the package (ported binaries) of gzip  for either
sparc or intel X86  from http://sunfreeware.com/

After downloading the package, save this  file in /tmp
and  run
#pkgadd -d /tmp/<package-name>

where <package-name>  is the actual file name that you downloaded from
http://sunfreeware.com/  without the angel brackets.

If you have any other question please feel free to conatct me

Thanks
Ahmed