Does Solaris support a 47 GB disk?

Post by jzswat.. » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

We've been trying to get a 47 GB (it's 60 unformated/47 formated)
disk to format on some Ultra 5's for about a week now, and
not getting anywhere.  All we get is "format failed".
Another odd thing is that the disk specs say it has
328 Sectors per track, and the maximum that the format allows
us to enter is 256.

So the question came up, maybe the OS doesn't support
a single 47 GB disk.  The only documentation we've seen is
that it supports aruond 18GB.
Does anyone know if Solaris 2.7 supports a 47 GB Seagate disk?
Has anyone succeeded in getting a single 47GB (formated) disk
to work?
What is the maximum supported disk size?

Thanks,
John

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Stefan Berglu » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

> We've been trying to get a 47 GB (it's 60 unformated/47 formated)
> disk to format on some Ultra 5's for about a week now, and
> not getting anywhere.  All we get is "format failed".
> Another odd thing is that the disk specs say it has
> 328 Sectors per track, and the maximum that the format allows
> us to enter is 256.

I had no problems with a 50 (marketing)GB Seagate disc on a Ultra 1
running 2.6. I don't see why there should be any difference between
the machines in this matter.
format should autodetect the geometry I just started format and
selected the correct disc from the list.

--
                        /Stefan

Life - the ultimate practical joke

Does Solaris support a 47 GB disk?

Post by azieb » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

Solaris 2.7 supports upto 1TB (Terabyte).

Al

Does Solaris support a 47 GB disk?

Post by azieb » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

Solaris supports upto 1TB (Terabyte).

Al

Does Solaris support a 47 GB disk?

Post by azieb » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

Solaris 2.7 supports upto 1TB (Terabyte).

Al

Does Solaris support a 47 GB disk?

Post by Kjetil Torgrim Homm » Sat, 13 May 2000 04:00:00

[Stefan Berglund]

Quote:>   I had no problems with a 50 (marketing)GB Seagate disc on a Ultra 1
>   running 2.6. I don't see why there should be any difference between
>   the machines in this matter.

Ultra 5 uses IDE...  Of course, the PC types like to add arbitrary
limits, so there is yet another driver update needed to support drives
larger than 32 GB.  I don't know the status of Solaris on this issue.

Kjetil T.

Post by Joerg Schilli » Sat, 13 May 2000 04:00:00

>Hello,

>We've been trying to get a 47 GB (it's 60 unformated/47 formated)
>disk to format on some Ultra 5's for about a week now, and
>not getting anywhere.  All we get is "format failed".
>Another odd thing is that the disk specs say it has
>328 Sectors per track, and the maximum that the format allows
>us to enter is 256.

>So the question came up, maybe the OS doesn't support
>a single 47 GB disk.  The only documentation we've seen is
>that it supports aruond 18GB.
>Does anyone know if Solaris 2.7 supports a 47 GB Seagate disk?
>Has anyone succeeded in getting a single 47GB (formated) disk
>to work?

You need to upgrade to Solaris 8

--

Does Solaris support a 47 GB disk?

Post by Joerg Schilli » Sat, 13 May 2000 04:00:00

>Solaris 2.7 supports upto 1TB (Terabyte).

In SCSI, but for IDE you need S 8 if you like more than 8 GB.

--

Does Solaris support a 47 GB disk?

Post by Paul Dorrel » Sat, 13 May 2000 04:00:00

I had no problem setting up a 30G IDE drive using Solaris 2.7
although ut was a sparc. I don't know if the intel version will allow this

> >Solaris 2.7 supports upto 1TB (Terabyte).

> In SCSI, but for IDE you need S 8 if you like more than 8 GB.

> --

1. UDMA66 Large Disk (27.3 Gb) == 8 Gb industrial standard disk???

Hi,

I've this ABIT BP6 mainboard with on board UDMA66. I'm still trying to
install Red Hat 5.2. With boot parameter "ide0=0xb400", I'm able to detect
my Maxtor 27.3 Gb HD (no switching with normal IDE cables). But then I
encounter the next problem: Linux recognizes this disk as an 8.0 Gb HD, the
industrial standard for large disks . Because I also have W98 installed,
I've exactly -12 Gb reserved for Linux partitions. Telling the kernel that I
have more cyl. ("hda=55000,15,63") doesn't make any difference. Anyone out
there who can help me?

2. network admin. walks out with password

3. Q: Trident PCI-47 svga card support ?

4. Digi International (was: Hello fellow SCO'ers, I'm back)

5. patch 100999-47 in solaris 2.2

6. rh7.2 apache localhost cookies

7. Booting sparcstation IPC (model #47) with solaris 2.5.1

8. Processes left running after telnet session

9. patch 100999-47 in solaris 2.2

10. 40 GB Seagate disk and only 8 GB usable

11. Mixing 2 GB and 4 GB disk in MultiPack

12. RH5.2 install to lsat 4 GB of 12 GB disk

13. How to reformat a 2.1 GB disk to 2 GB ?