Telnet Session Default DISPLAY Environment Variable

Telnet Session Default DISPLAY Environment Variable

Post by Brian Aingwort » Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi - can anyone help me understand how the DISPLAY environment variable
gets set during a telnet session? What is the default assigned by
Solaris if the client does not send a value with its session request? I
find that it gets set to the same value no matter the client hostname
who telnets in, but I cannot figure out where this value is saved or how
to change it. Unfortunately, the telnet client under WIN95 that we are
using is a GUI which does not let one easily (if at all) set the DISPLAY
value when making a connection to the Solaris host. Thanks

* Brian Aingworth
* Lockheed Martin Federal Systems
* Owego,NY, 13827

*
*               Only my own opinions are offered.
*

Telnet Session Default DISPLAY Environment Variable

Post by Barry Margoli » Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi - can anyone help me understand how the DISPLAY environment variable
>gets set during a telnet session? What is the default assigned by
>Solaris if the client does not send a value with its session request? I
>find that it gets set to the same value no matter the client hostname
>who telnets in, but I cannot figure out where this value is saved or how
>to change it. Unfortunately, the telnet client under WIN95 that we are
>using is a GUI which does not let one easily (if at all) set the DISPLAY
>value when making a connection to the Solaris host. Thanks

There's a TELNET option to transmit the DISPLAY environment variable; see
RFC 1096 for details.  Modern Unix telnet clients will transmit this if
DISPLAY happens to be set when they're used.

If the client doesn't send a value (and I'm not surprised the Win95 client
doesn't), I expect Solaris to leave the environment variable unset, unless
you have something in your .profile or .login that sets it.  Some people
put code in their .profile/.login that looks at the client hostname in the
output of "who" and sets DISPLAY from that.

Post by Jeffrey Altm » Wed, 14 Apr 1999 04:00:00

: Hi - can anyone help me understand how the DISPLAY environment variable
: gets set during a telnet session? What is the default assigned by
: Solaris if the client does not send a value with its session request? I
: find that it gets set to the same value no matter the client hostname
: who telnets in, but I cannot figure out where this value is saved or how
: to change it. Unfortunately, the telnet client under WIN95 that we are
: using is a GUI which does not let one easily (if at all) set the DISPLAY
: value when making a connection to the Solaris host. Thanks
:

Kermit 95 is one Windows Telnet client that supports the DISPLAY
variable.  See http://www.kermit-project.org/k95.html

    Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer * Kermit-95 for Win32 and OS/2
                 The Kermit Project * Columbia University
              612 West 115th St #716 * New York, NY * 10025

1. telnet sessions get strange environment variables set

When users telnet into some of our Solaris (v7 and v8) machines they
get a slew of variables set in their environment which are not coming
from any of their personal initialization files (~/.profile,
~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, ~/.bashrc, etc.) nor from the
systemwide /etc/profile. Using rlogin/rsh/su -) does not result in
these variables being set. These are variables that seem to come from
old settings of a different user, but we cannot figure out where they
are stored, how to unset them, etc. It is quite a mystery, very
annoying and a bit of a security problem. It also goes against
everything I know (obviously not enough) about how shell logins are
supposed to work. Any help will be much appreciated.

George

2. How do I know all the supported drivers in GS?

3. netcfg: TclError: no display name and no $display environment variable

4. Input to bg process?

5. no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

6. lockf() problems on solaris 2.6

7. Environment variables at session startup

8. sed script to replace the middle #5 with 6

9. Win98 Environment Variables(?) default Editor???

10. Setting the DISPLAY Environment variable

11. Displaying environment variables dynamically in a Korn Shell Script

12. Display value of environment variable