get 'OK' prompt when resetting serial console

get 'OK' prompt when resetting serial console

Post by Paul Herman » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 21:01:56

Hi there,

I've some Sparc machines running (420R and CP1400/CP1500 cPCI)
Although the 420R has a graphics adapter i use ttya as the console port.
The CP1400/CP1500 don't have a grapics card.

As serial console i use an intel machine running windows and a terminal
emulator (e.g. hyperterm).
Problem: When i reset/reboot the intel machine all activity on the sparc
stops.
Starting terminal emulator show that it is in the 'OK' prompt.
Typing 'go' get the system running immediatly, but:
HOW TO PREVENT THIS ????

I think it's a setting in OpenBoot.  Any ideas ?

get 'OK' prompt when resetting serial console

Post by Kumar » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 21:31:27

If you make sure the key is in the 'Lock' position on the E420R this should
not happen

Arv

Post by Celeste Stokel » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 22:15:34

> I've some Sparc machines running (420R and CP1400/CP1500 cPCI)
> Although the 420R has a graphics adapter i use ttya as the console port.
> The CP1400/CP1500 don't have a grapics card.
> As serial console i use an intel machine running windows and a terminal
> emulator (e.g. hyperterm).
> Problem: When i reset/reboot the intel machine all activity on the sparc
> stops.
> Starting terminal emulator show that it is in the 'OK' prompt.
> Typing 'go' get the system running immediatly, but:
> HOW TO PREVENT THIS ????

Your Sun is going to OK as a result of the BREAK it gets on ttya when
the Intel machine reboots or resets. There are several ways to keep
this from happening, and they're listed at
http://www.stokely.com/unix.sysadm.resources/faqs.sun.html#sun.break....

  http://www.stokely.com - Home of Unix Serial Port & Sysadm Resources
  22 Six Shooter Dr, Silver City NM 88061-9791, Main: 505-534-3140
  Fax: 505-534-3141

Post by paul y » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 01:59:51

> Hi there,

> I've some Sparc machines running (420R and CP1400/CP1500 cPCI)
> Although the 420R has a graphics adapter i use ttya as the console port.
> The CP1400/CP1500 don't have a grapics card.

> As serial console i use an intel machine running windows and a terminal
> emulator (e.g. hyperterm).
> Problem: When i reset/reboot the intel machine all activity on the sparc
> stops.
> Starting terminal emulator show that it is in the 'OK' prompt.
> Typing 'go' get the system running immediatly, but:
> HOW TO PREVENT THIS ????

> I think it's a setting in OpenBoot.  Any ideas ?

Before you reboot your PC, unplug the cable.

Post by Andrew Consigl » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:13:35

> Hi there,

> I've some Sparc machines running (420R and CP1400/CP1500 cPCI)
> Although the 420R has a graphics adapter i use ttya as the console port.
> The CP1400/CP1500 don't have a grapics card.

> As serial console i use an intel machine running windows and a terminal
> emulator (e.g. hyperterm).
> Problem: When i reset/reboot the intel machine all activity on the sparc
> stops.
> Starting terminal emulator show that it is in the 'OK' prompt.
> Typing 'go' get the system running immediatly, but:
> HOW TO PREVENT THIS ????

> I think it's a setting in OpenBoot.  Any ideas ?

When you reset/reboot you PC the serial port on the SUNs see this as a
BREAK.  This can also happen if you unplug and plug in a serial cable
into the console port.  To disable this feature:

In /etc/system put

set abort_enable=0

This will take effect after rebooting

Andy

Post by Greg Andre » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 08:34:13

>I've some Sparc machines running (420R and CP1400/CP1500 cPCI)
>Although the 420R has a graphics adapter i use ttya as the console port.
>The CP1400/CP1500 don't have a grapics card.

>As serial console i use an intel machine running windows and a terminal
>emulator (e.g. hyperterm).
>Problem: When i reset/reboot the intel machine all activity on the sparc
>stops.
>Starting terminal emulator show that it is in the 'OK' prompt.
>Typing 'go' get the system running immediatly, but:
>HOW TO PREVENT THIS ????

>I think it's a setting in OpenBoot.  Any ideas ?

Infodoc 21258 on sunsolve.sun.com gives the patch numbers
and instructions for setting the "alternate" abort sequence
on Sparc machines.  You should be able to get that doc if
you have a support contract.

(and now the procedure works for Netra t1 model 100, 105, AC200,
and X1 machines.  Hooray!)

  -Greg
--

I have a map of the United States that's actual size
                 -- Steven Wright

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 10:17:07

> (and now the procedure works for Netra t1 model 100, 105, AC200,
> and X1 machines.  Hooray!)

Do you know what patches or other information is required for it to work
on Netras?

          < How are you gentlemen!! Take off every '.SIG'!! >

Post by Ed Wensell II » Sat, 10 Nov 2001 12:03:50

> Problem: When i reset/reboot the intel machine all activity on the sparc
> stops.
> Starting terminal emulator show that it is in the 'OK' prompt.
> Typing 'go' get the system running immediatly, but:
> HOW TO PREVENT THIS ????

> I think it's a setting in OpenBoot.  Any ideas ?

Three ways I know of:

1) Disconnect the PC/terminal/whatever from the system BEFORE
exiting/shutdown/poweroff/etc.

2) Turn the key to the lock position. If you are the sysadmin, take the
key with you and store it someplace safe.

3) If using Solaris 2.7 (?5/99? or with latest patches) or newer, edit
/etc/default/kbd and make the appropriate changes so you have a line
that reads "KEYBOARD_ABORT=disable". Perform a 'kbd -i' or reboot the
system. This prevents STOP-A and BREAK (aka DTR drop) affecting the
system when it is running. They will still work during initial startup
(eg. memory test or early in boot sequence).

The latter is handy on systems without a keyswitch and/or connected to
flaky remote console routers.... Or better yet, in a room full of Ultra5
/SunBlade workstations with twitchy users.

--

Ed Wensell III
E-mail address bunged. You've been warned.

Post by Greg Andre » Sun, 11 Nov 2001 02:50:20

>> (and now the procedure works for Netra t1 model 100, 105, AC200,
>> and X1 machines.  Hooray!)

>Do you know what patches or other information is required for it to work
>on Netras?

Sorry, I should have included that in my other post.

The bug is 4357331, and was fixed in these patches:

     Solaris 2.6:  106533-04  (current revision is -08)

       Solaris 7:  107026-09  (current revision is -12)

       Solaris 8:  107973-07  (current revision is -08)

Be aware that these patches might require a minimum revision of
the kernel patch, and the kernel patch may require other patches.

In 99% of cases you'll also need to reboot in order to ensure
the new serial driver module is loaded.

  -Greg
--

Post by Jorgen Moquis » Sun, 11 Nov 2001 06:41:57

> Hi there,

> I've some Sparc machines running (420R and CP1400/CP1500 cPCI)
> Although the 420R has a graphics adapter i use ttya as the console port.
> The CP1400/CP1500 don't have a grapics card.

> As serial console i use an intel machine running windows and a terminal
> emulator (e.g. hyperterm).
> Problem: When i reset/reboot the intel machine all activity on the sparc
> stops.
> Starting terminal emulator show that it is in the 'OK' prompt.
> Typing 'go' get the system running immediatly, but:
> HOW TO PREVENT THIS ????

> I think it's a setting in OpenBoot.  Any ideas ?

create /etc/rc3.d/S99stop_a
and put this in it, witch will make breaking impossible in multiuser mode
and possible if its not booting ok !
--------- /etc/rc3.d/S99stop_a --------
#!/sbin/sh
case "$1" in
'start')
        /usr/sbin/kbd -a disable
        ;;

'stop')
        /usr/sbin/kbd -a enable
        ;;
'restart')
        /usr/sbin/kbd -i
        ;;
*)
        echo "Usage: $0 { start | stop | restart}"
        exit 1
        ;;
esac
exit 0

1. Can't get login prompt with serial console

Ok, I just setup 3 boxes to have the serial console, since we don't
have enough monitors/keyboards to go around or a decent KVM switch. I
*did* have an ancient HP terminal and a serial switch box.

Two of the computers are running the 2.2.x kernel, the other is still
on 2.0.x. On the 2.0.x box, I was able to apply the patch and get it
to dump *everything* to the console after removing /dev/console and
symlinking it to the serial device. I was also able to add a getty
process in inittab and I get a login prompt just fine on the serial
port.

However, after following the 2.2.x serial-console.txt directions, I
*cannot* get a login prompt if I configure a serial console. It's
almost as if the kernel blocks all access to the serial port if it
uses it for a console. This is no good, cuz I *really* need to be able
to login on the console!!

I've checked, and the getty still runs even though it doesn't display
anything. If I remove the "console=" from the configs, the getty works
just fine.

Is there a fix for this?

--
Chris Osborn                    Full System, Inc.

http://www.fullsystem.com/      Napa, CA 94559

2. Disk striping

3. Netra t1 'stop-a' ok prompt?

4. Trident Problems

5. Q: ok prompt on serial console?

6. Java on Linux

7. Serial Console with "{0} ok" prompt

8. NFS Mounting using different Solaris verions

9. Sun 280R restart stays on 'OK' prompt

10. terminal servers and 'ok' prompts

11. How to return to the 'OK' prompt?

12. How do you 'reset' the console?

13. Getting from the ok prompt to the OS login prompt?