X mouse cursor is 'square' shape

Post by simo » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I just ran a complete reinstall of solaris 7 on a pentium machine.
During the install the mouse cursor appeared as a 1" x 1" square. I kept
on, thinking this was an installation procedure glitch but, after the
install was complete the cursor is still wrong. It's still
usable(pointer is top-left corner) but damn annoying. Rebooting
(along with power-off/on) has no effect.

It's hard to tell if X is drawing the cursor like it is, or if there is
some kind of interference happening. The reason I say this is because if
you move the cursor somewhere where it should change shape (e.g. over
the corner of a window as if to begin window enlargement) the
'interference' undergoes a slight but noticable change, as if X is
drawing something different. There are also horizontal interference
effects in the mouse cursor image from widgets appearing on distant
(but horizontally aligned) parts of the display. Very weird. Looks like
what you might imagine if sprite hardware was malfunctioning and
trashing the video signal, except confined to the mouse cursor location.

I'd rather find out what's wrong and fix this than go through the
install again with same result. If it is software then any guesses to
what's causing this?

Thanks
Simon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Philip Bro » Fri, 10 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>I just ran a complete reinstall of solaris 7 on a pentium machine.
>During the install the mouse cursor appeared as a 1" x 1" square. I kept
>on, thinking this was an installation procedure glitch but, after the
>install was complete the cursor is still wrong. It's still
>usable(pointer is top-left corner) but damn annoying. Rebooting
>(along with power-off/on) has no effect.

you need to re-choose your video card, in the graphics config.
(kdmconfig)

The word of the day is mispergitude