Solaris HCL vs. the new Dual P6 motherboards from Supermicro & Tyan

Solaris HCL vs. the new Dual P6 motherboards from Supermicro & Tyan

Post by Bruce Jil » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Isn't the Sun Solaris Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) getting a little old?
The version I see at http://access1.sun.com/gateway/certify/hcl.html
is dated March 1996.

I'm curious about support for:

        1) Supermicro's P6DOF (orion) and P6DNF (natoma) dual P6 motherboards.
        2) Tyan's alleged dual P6 motherboard (what's the current name?)

I would be very suprised if Solaris did not already support them.
Now that the vendors seem to have most of the hardware kinks worked out,
that is.  I'd just like to see Sun's blessing in writing before buying.
The Solaris DevPack x86 promotion ends this month....

Are there any Sun employees reading this?

Thanks in advance

Post by Jim Stephe » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Isn't the Sun Solaris Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) getting a little old?
>The version I see at http://access1.sun.com/gateway/certify/hcl.html
>is dated March 1996.
>I'm curious about support for:
>    1) Supermicro's P6DOF (orion) and P6DNF (natoma) dual P6 motherboards.
>    2) Tyan's alleged dual P6 motherboard (what's the current name?)
>I would be very suprised if Solaris did not already support them.
>Now that the vendors seem to have most of the hardware kinks worked out,
>that is.  I'd just like to see Sun's blessing in writing before buying.
>The Solaris DevPack x86 promotion ends this month....
>Are there any Sun employees reading this?
>Thanks in advance

You give thanks, but with your last catty remark, do you really expect
an answer?

I imagine that most of the building where the development takes place
reads this, so that is not necessary.

As to your question, if you do not know the name, how could you expect
it to be in the list, or would you know if it were?

Jim

Post by theodore bra » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

:
: You give thanks, but with your last catty remark, do you really expect
: an answer?
:
: I imagine that most of the building where the development takes place
: reads this, so that is not necessary.
:
: As to your question, if you do not know the name, how could you expect
: it to be in the list, or would you know if it were?
:
: Jim
:

Gee, that was helpful.  See the certification test reports, they appear
to be more up to date.

Ted Brace                   | Sin City Software  |   Jim Feist Sports

Post by Jim Stephe » Mon, 17 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>Isn't the Sun Solaris Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) getting a little old?
>The version I see at http://access1.sun.com/gateway/certify/hcl.html
>is dated March 1996.
>I'm curious about support for:
>    1) Supermicro's P6DOF (orion) and P6DNF (natoma) dual P6 motherboards.
>    2) Tyan's alleged dual P6 motherboard (what's the current name?)
>I would be very suprised if Solaris did not already support them.
>Now that the vendors seem to have most of the hardware kinks worked out,
>that is.  I'd just like to see Sun's blessing in writing before buying.
>The Solaris DevPack x86 promotion ends this month....
>Are there any Sun employees reading this?
>Thanks in advance

After an email exchange with Bruce, a note to correct my previous
note.  Please note that Sun has expanded their certification program
to include the capability of manufacturers of boards and systems to do
their own certifications.

Please ask them to provide you with a certification that Solaris has
been tested on the system and show them how to get to the proper place
to do their certification, since they are poor deprived NT or DOS
users that are barely literate, and need all the help that they can
get :-)

There is no reason that they cannot have the Sun Solaris compatable
logo on their products rather than all those silly Novell and SCO
ones.

BTW, I did work for Sun but I don't now.

Sorry for the semi flame posted earlier.  It does no good for us to
feed on each other, like a bunch of Republicans or something...

Jim

Solaris HCL vs. the new Dual P6 motherboards from Supermicro & Tyan

Post by lurk » Mon, 17 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>>Are there any Sun employees reading this?
>You give thanks, but with your last catty remark, do you really expect
>an answer?

>I imagine that most of the building where the development takes place
>reads this, so that is not necessary.

>As to your question, if you do not know the name, how could you expect
>it to be in the list, or would you know if it were?

What *ing bug is up your ass? He was asking a pretty civil
question. I had to look back at his post just to figure out what the
* you were *ing about.

Post by Larry Ka » Tue, 18 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>>Isn't the Sun Solaris Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) getting a little
old?
>>The version I see at http://access1.sun.com/gateway/certify/hcl.html
>>is dated March 1996.

>>I'm curious about support for:

>>       1) Supermicro's P6DOF (orion) and P6DNF (natoma) dual P6
motherboards.
>>       2) Tyan's alleged dual P6 motherboard (what's the current name?)

>>I would be very suprised if Solaris did not already support them.
>>Now that the vendors seem to have most of the hardware kinks worked out,
>>that is.  I'd just like to see Sun's blessing in writing before buying.
>>The Solaris DevPack x86 promotion ends this month....

>>Are there any Sun employees reading this?

>>Thanks in advance

>After an email exchange with Bruce, a note to correct my previous
>note.  Please note that Sun has expanded their certification program
>to include the capability of manufacturers of boards and systems to do
>their own certifications.

>Please ask them to provide you with a certification that Solaris has
>been tested on the system and show them how to get to the proper place
>to do their certification, since they are poor deprived NT or DOS
>users that are barely literate, and need all the help that they can
>get :-)

>There is no reason that they cannot have the Sun Solaris compatable
>logo on their products rather than all those silly Novell and SCO
>ones.

>BTW, I did work for Sun but I don't now.

>Sorry for the semi flame posted earlier.  It does no good for us to
>feed on each other, like a bunch of Republicans or something...

>Jim

well now that microsoft has added this BS in the new version of workstation in
beta where it limits socket connections.. I will be re-installing solaris on
my supermicro dual and let you know if it works or not..

Larry Kahn            __    __    __    __       Senior Software Engineer
                     /  \  /  \  /  \  /  \       Dynamics Research Corp.
____________________/  __\/  __\/  __\/  __\_____________________________
___________________/  /__/  /__/  /__/  /________________________________

                  \_/   \_/   \_/   \_/   \    o \
                                           \_____/--<

1. TYAN S1662 vs. SuperMicro P6DNE Dual Pentium Pro motherboard

Any one have experience with the Tyan S1662 dual pentium pro motherboard
or the SuperMicro P6DNE Dual Pentium Pro motherboard??

Which one is better and more expensive??

The Tysan version required that the DRAM voltage must be
correctly set to 3.3 or 5 V, but how can you tell which
by looking at the DRAM EDO chip??

Also, which stepping of the Pentium Pro Chip must be used
in order for SMP, and how can you identify it by looking
at the PP PRO chip??

Thanks,

often.

--
Linh C. Nguyen

++++++++++++++++

2. error relared with ONC RPC rpcgen

3. Advice on Triton 2 MBs; SuperMicro vs Asus vs TYAN; Dual Processor?

4. ThinkPad 701: Anyone got 16bit sound to work?

5. Supermicro P55CMS vs. Tyan Titan III motherboard?

6. Programmable chipset?

7. Motherboards: Supermicro vs Tyan

8. Anyone ported MacLayers/Ulayers?

9. HCL and Dual Processor motherboards for Solaris 7

10. Cyrix 6x86 vs Intel P6 vs Intel P6 Pro

11. TYAN Tomcat IV dual motherboard & Linux

12. Supermicro or Tyan motherboards???

13. Linux & SuperMicro P6-SBM on-board sound