HELP: Unknown process intermittently accessing port 1022 after printer removal

HELP: Unknown process intermittently accessing port 1022 after printer removal

Post by Guy Dallai » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

We used to have a remote printer on NetWare-NFS to which we print. The
printer was defined as:

lpadmin -p the_printer -s the_netware_server!the_netware_queue

Now, we removed that printer from BOTH unix and netware lately, but we
still have console messages on netware telling us that our UNIX box is
till trying to access a nonexistent quieue on netware.

We tried bouncing lpsched (lpshut, remove LOCKS and
/var/spool/lp/requests and /var/spool/lp/tmp, restart lpsched) but
that did not fix it.

snoop from unixbox to netware_server gives the following every minute
or so (At the same time the netware box gives us the error message):

      produc -> srvsf        PRINTER C port=1022
      produc -> srvsf        PRINTER C port=1022
      produc -> srvsf        PRINTER C port=1022 \2QOPT_PRINCIPALE\n
      produc -> srvsf        PRINTER C port=1022
      produc -> srvsf        PRINTER C port=1022
      produc -> srvsf        PRINTER C port=1022

Yesterday, it was port 1023

After running lsof -i :1023 for a while repeatedly, we found the
following:

COMMAND   PID USER   FD   TYPE     DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
lp      15388 root    6u  inet 0x6697ec38      0t0  TCP
produc:1023->srvsf:printer (SYN_SENT)

This process is not there long enough to know where it is comming
from. We cannot reboot the server merely to get rid af an annoying
console message on netware.

Printing on solaris as always eb confusing for me, it seems to be a
mix of BSD and System V and proprietary stuff. It was way more easy on
Digital Unix.

If anyone can shed some light on this...

TIA!

Post by Greg Andre » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>We used to have a remote printer on NetWare-NFS to which we print. The
>printer was defined as:

>lpadmin -p the_printer -s the_netware_server!the_netware_queue

>Now, we removed that printer from BOTH unix and netware lately, but we
>still have console messages on netware telling us that our UNIX box is
>till trying to access a nonexistent quieue on netware.

>We tried bouncing lpsched (lpshut, remove LOCKS and
>/var/spool/lp/requests and /var/spool/lp/tmp, restart lpsched) but
>that did not fix it.

If you're running Solaris 2.6, those are the wrong directories
for jobs spooled to go to remote printers.

(it's also an incomplete list of the things you should remove)

The directory you want is /var/spool/print.  Go ahead and follow
the same kind of procedure you followed before:

  1. lpshut  (or /etc/init.d/lp stop)

  2. cd /var/spool/print; rm all files except .seq or .printd.lock

  3. cd /var/spool/lp; rm -r temp tmp fifos requests

  4. /usr/lib/lp/lpsched  (or  /etc/init.d/lp start)

Step 2 deletes jobs queued for remote printers on Solaris 2.6 and
higher.  Step 3 deletes jobs queued for local and network printers
on Solaris 2.6 and above.  For Solaris 2.5.1 and below, Step 2 is
not needed - Step 3 deletes print jobs for both local and remote
printers.

  -Greg

1. HELP: Unknown process intermittently accessing port 1022 after printer removal

[...]

2. Solaris 8 Jumpstart

3. nmap port 1022 1023 ?

4. fonts and friends

5. What uses ports 1022 and 1023?

6. raw socket programming on aix

7. ports 1022 and 1023

8. OOPS! FREE BACKUP/RESTORE SW Replacement Software - I goofed!

10. head has a limit of 1022

11. Zombie port being used UNKNOWN BY WHAT PROCESS

12. Printer prints from ttyS0 (modem port), but how from ttyS1 (printer port)?

13. Intermittently slow cable modem access