Question on RPC

Post by Sylvain Huber » Thu, 13 May 1999 04:00:00

I have just upgrade a sun station to solaris 7 (reformated the hard
drive with new partition). Now, each time the workstation reboot, I see
the following error message:

"starting rpc services: rpcbindkeyserv: failed to generate host's
netname when establishing root's key"

What does it mean and how can I rectify the problem. The workstation is
using NFS but not NIS/NIS+.  Everything seems to be working fine.

Best regards,

Sylvain Hubert

1. How to use rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd?

[Q2] Stupid but non-FAQ NFS question #2:
Thanks for the help of finding out the rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rcp.nfsd.
Still, after reading the NFS-FAQ, Linux Network Admin Guide, none of these guys
seem to work at all.  I still get the message of RPC fault: program is not
registered.  I guess I really need a cookbook example.

Let's say I have machines A and B which both of them can telnet and ftp to each
other.  In other words, they are properly connected.  Now, this is how I did.
I add three statements at the begninning of the rc.inet2 at machine A:

/usr/sbin/rpc.portmap
/usr/sbin/rpc.mountd
/usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd
/bin/mount -t nfs B:/home /mnt

Then, I add /mnt B[rw] at /etc/exports at machine A.
Then, reboot machine A, and it prompts RPC fault: program is not registered.
Can anyone provide me an idiot-proof way of attacking this?  Thanks.
BTW, someone mention "premeter".  What is that?

--

Salem

2. Can't compile Modula-3 on Linux

3. Where are rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd?

4. Linux newsgroups archive?

5. Dangers of rpc.portmap, rpc.mountd, rpc.nfsd

6. Backspace in statically linked Motiff apps

7. RPC 4.0 vs RPC 4.1 vs TI RPC

8. IDE HDD block mode?

9. Comparison bet soap rpc, dce rpc and sun rpc

10. UNIX RPC client, NT RPC server

11. RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

12. RPC.LOCKD cannot contact RPC.STATD. HELP!!

13. Help link Sun RPC and DCE RPC