mnt Sony cdu-55e cd-rom?

Post by Alan Ki » Wed, 30 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I was able to install Solaris 2.4 x86 with a Sony cdu-55e cd-rom after
downloading update 7.  But now I can't access the cd drive to read other
cd's.  The update documentation says that the volume manager can't handle
it.  How do I manually mount a cd-rom with this drive?  What is the correct
device name?

mnt Sony cdu-55e cd-rom?

Post by Alan Ki » Wed, 30 Aug 1995 04:00:00

> I was able to install Solaris 2.4 x86 with a Sony cdu-55e cd-rom after
> downloading update 7.  But now I can't access the cd drive to read other
> cd's.  The update documentation says that the volume manager can't handle
> it.  How do I manually mount a cd-rom with this drive?  What is the correct
> device name?

Sun technical support called me back today and I was able to get the cd-rom
working.  The first thing that you need is driver update 7 which has
support for this cd-rom.  This can be downloaded from Sun or obtained from
them by floppy.  Next jumper the cd-rom so that it is a slave device and
put it on the same IDE bus ribbon cable as the hard drive.  My mistake was
that I had it as a master on the secondary IDE cable.  For some reason,
even though I could load Solaris this way, the cd-rom was not mountable.
Next reboot the computer and select the "b -r" option which performs an
automatic reconfigure.  This will add the cdrom device mount points which
will be listed as /dev/dsk/c0d1p*.  The volume management software still
does not recognize this cd-rom so it is necessary to insert the cd into the
drive and then manually mount the cd-rom from the root account with the
command "mount -F hsfs -r /dev/dsk/c0d1p0 /cdrom".  Prior to running the
mount command for the first time create the mount point "/cdrom" with the
mkdir command from the root account.

mnt Sony cdu-55e cd-rom?

Post by Bruce Adler [Contracto » Sat, 02 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>I was able to install Solaris 2.4 x86 with a Sony cdu-55e cd-rom after
>downloading update 7.  But now I can't access the cd drive to read other
>cd's.  The update documentation says that the volume manager can't handle
>it.  How do I manually mount a cd-rom with this drive?  What is the correct
>device name?

There's a Volume Manager patch available, 101908-07, that's supposed
to fix that problem.

BA