Need a tip for tip

Post by George Le » Sun, 21 Oct 2001 10:56:57

I am connectiong two SPARC20 (Solaris 8) through null modem cable, local
host using port B, remote host using port A, when I type:    tip hardwire
I got "Connected", but nothing else happens afterward, what should I do to
get prompt so I can login?

Thanks a lot.

Need a tip for tip

Post by Philip Bro » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:38:45

>I am connectiong two SPARC20 (Solaris 8) through null modem cable, local
>host using port B, remote host using port A, when I type:    tip hardwire
>I got "Connected", but nothing else happens afterward, what should I do to
>get prompt so I can login?

you didnt explicitly say that "remote host" was headless.

The word of the day is mispergitude

Need a tip for tip

Post by Phil Edwar » Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:44:27

> I am connectiong two SPARC20 (Solaris 8) through null modem cable, local
> host using port B, remote host using port A, when I type:    tip hardwire
> I got "Connected", but nothing else happens afterward, what should I do to
> get prompt so I can login?

The console will only route keyboard and monitor I/O down the serial line
if it boots and discovers no keyboard and monitor.  Was that the case when
you booted the machine?

If the machine booted with a keyboard and monitor, then you need to tell it
to start speaking on the serial line with the... ah, crumbs... I think the
command is /usr/sbin/eeprom, not sure, never used it.  Check for a man page.

Or you can just down the machine, unplug the keyboard and stuff, then
power it back on.  :-)

Phil

than the animating contest for freedom, go home and leave us in peace.  We seek
not your counsel, nor your arms.  Crouch down and* the hand that feeds you;
and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.            - Samuel Adams

1. Tips for tip

I am having trouble connecting to remote systems using tip. I create an
entry in /etc/remote for my remote system. The modem does dial and I
receive a carrier detect and also the message connected 14400 LAPM
then the modem hangs up and I see the message call failed.

I am able to connect using cu without a problem

I have even tried programming the answering modem with an at&d0 I guess I
read somewhere that tip drops dtr once connected to establish a login
propmt but even this wasnt worked for me.

I am using multitech ZDX modem (Hayes compatiable) on Solaris x86 2.5

Does anybody have any tips on TIP

Thanks in advance

2. Automated E. Mail.

3. TIPS FOR HEALTHY AND BEAUTY TIPS

4. Password file: Moving from Solaris 2.x to FreeBSD

5. Tip -no not tips and tricks!

6. dirent problem

7. need improved TIP

8. anonymous ftp: limiting users?

9. porting from SysVr3 to SysVr4 - hints and tips needed

10. Need Help With "tip"

11. >> Need little tips for XWindows <<

12. Need AIX instruction tips for new user

13. Some Linux tips Needed! Please!