NIS woes

Post by UNIX admi » Sat, 14 Aug 2004 02:53:58

I have a master NIS server (us.domain.net).
On it, everything looks and works just peachy: `ypwhich -m` returns the
master NIS server's name, I can do `ypcat -k hosts` etcetera.
In short, everything works the way it's supposed to.

Except for one small problem. Any other server I set up whether as a slave
or a client, can't talk to the NIS master.

Network connectivity is fine, I can ping the IP, traceroute, telnet... you
name it.
`rpcinfo nismaster` on any of the would-be clients/slave servers returns
back a ton of RPC services listening, including "ypbind" and the rest of the
gang.  Except that their own ypbind can't bind to any of them.

What gives?

NIS woes

Post by Juhan Leeme » Sat, 14 Aug 2004 04:07:59

> I have a master NIS server (us.domain.net).
> On it, everything looks and works just peachy: `ypwhich -m` returns the
> master NIS server's name, I can do `ypcat -k hosts` etcetera.
> In short, everything works the way it's supposed to.

> Except for one small problem. Any other server I set up whether as a slave
> or a client, can't talk to the NIS master.

> Network connectivity is fine, I can ping the IP, traceroute, telnet... you
> name it.
> `rpcinfo nismaster` on any of the would-be clients/slave servers returns
> back a ton of RPC services listening, including "ypbind" and the rest of the
> gang.  Except that their own ypbind can't bind to any of them.

> What gives?

Come on, you can do better than that? Try RTFM and "man ypbind ypinit".
Then try binding manually (using some of the ypbind switch options).
Then report specific problems and version numbers.

--
Juhan Leemet
Logicognosis, Inc.

NIS woes

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 14 Aug 2004 04:54:16

> `rpcinfo nismaster` on any of the would-be clients/slave servers returns
> back a ton of RPC services listening, including "ypbind" and the rest of the
> gang.  Except that their own ypbind can't bind to any of them.

The bind fails (with an error), or the bind succeeds, but yp requests
return no data.

The first would be unusual, the second would make me suspect an
overzealous securenets file.

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/

NIS woes

Post by UNIX admi » Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:36:49

Quote:> Come on, you can do better than that? Try RTFM and "man ypbind ypinit".

Let me somewhat rephrase the above: I've successully configured NIS and
AutoMounter before in a production environment; I've spent the last three
weeks feverishly pouring over the documentation, "Managing NFS and NIS" as
well as the "Solaris7 System Administration II" book. And all the man pages,
especially since the NIS slave will be an IRIX 6.5 machine.

I'm currently not able to pinpoint the problem except that it >>appears<<
that NIS doesn't like the subdomain.domain.net for its domain name. However,
I've no proof of this, and it doesn't even make sense.

Quote:> Then try binding manually (using some of the ypbind switch options).
> Then report specific problems and version numbers.

I'll try. However, the servers are on the other side of the globe and the
NIS master is currently stuck "timing out waiting for NIS to come up". So I
have to wait who knows how many more hours before it gets poked in the eye.

NIS woes

Post by UNIX admi » Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:38:18

Quote:> The bind fails (with an error), or the bind succeeds, but yp requests
> return no data.

The bind fails with an error. BTW, "nis" is set first in the "hosts" line in
/etc/nsswitch.conf.

Quote:> The first would be unusual, the second would make me suspect an
> overzealous securenets file.

Haven't messed with the securenets file.

NIS woes

Post by Michael Laajane » Sun, 15 Aug 2004 01:26:14

HI,

>>The bind fails (with an error), or the bind succeeds, but yp requests
>>return no data.

> The bind fails with an error. BTW, "nis" is set first in the "hosts" line in
> /etc/nsswitch.conf.

Hmm first I am not an expert in SW bu in HW( :)) ) but is it wise to
have nis first should you not have files nis instead!

Have you placed the nisserver IP in /etc/hosts?

I know nada of IRIX but I assume that you have used a ypinic -c command,
  if did you specify a IP or hostname there?

/michael

NIS woes

Post by Thomas Glanzman » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:49:18

Hi 'Unix admin',

Quote:> Except for one small problem. Any other server I set up whether as a slave
> or a client, can't talk to the NIS master.

lol. you never set up NIS before? You must be a real 'UNIX admin'.

        Thomas

NIS woes

Post by Thomas Glanzman » Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:51:24

Hi 'Unix admin',

Quote:> Except for one small problem. Any other server I set up whether as a slave
> or a client, can't talk to the NIS master.

I meant, how can be help you?

        Thomas

NIS woes

Post by UNIX admi » Tue, 17 Aug 2004 01:52:18

Quote:> Hi 'Unix admin',

> I meant, how can be help you?

I pinpointed the problem on my own, and it was corrupt/wrong info.
The NIS master is "visible" and I've set up an IRIX 6.5 box as a NIS slave
with a regular replication schedule as per Sun's recommendations. NIS
clients are booting/working fine now.

Next on the list is the AutoMounter & CacheFS.

NIS woes

Post by UNIX admi » Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:01:14

Quote:> Read something like "Managing NFS and NIS"
> <http://safari.oreilly.com/?XmlId=1-56592-510-6> (NIS, NFS and
> automount) and docs.sun.com
> <http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/817-6960/6mmah94be?a=view> (CacheFS).

I have been, for the past three or so weeks (;-) (and I've set up
AutoMounter before as well).

Bascially I'm trying to solve a problem where we have a lot of different
Linux servers (Alpha, i686, ia64, different revs of RedHat from 9 to AS3.0),
HP-UX 11 & 11i (ia64, 9000 series), different versions of Solaris9 (sun4u,
sun4d, sun4m, sun4c, i86pc). What needs to happen is I need to set up a
central repository for software that will AutoMount the respective directory
for each platform.  That way, I only have to install SW once on a central
enterprise storage server. The problem (as usual) is Linux... it doesn't
return anything useful from `uname -r`...
Also, the enterprise storage server will serve accounts for every user in
the company branch, so in essence, a user would have a same login and passwd
and his/her files would follow them anywhere, no matter which server they
logged into.
Anyway, that's why I've been needing to set up NIS, and now the AutoMounter,
and then CacheFS...

NIS woes

Post by UNIX admi » Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:39:05

Quote:> When I worked at a place that use 4 different versions of Solaris,
> Fujitsu's Solaris-64, SunOS 4.x, and UnixWare, we used cfengine on each
> system to create links instead of customized automounter maps.

What's "cfengine"?

NIS woes

Post by Thomas Glanzman » Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:39:17

Hello,

Quote:> What's "cfengine"?

crap. Speak: An application that gets bugs with every new release and
keeps crashing.

        Thomas

http://www.cfengine.org/

NIS woes

Post by Thomas Glanzman » Thu, 19 Aug 2004 02:40:01

Hello "Mr. I am going to fix that bug",

Quote:> It's open source.  It has bugs.  So fix them.  Now stop complaining
> and eat your vegetables, Thomas.

it's a multithreaded application and crashes all the time. Running
valgrind at it tells you that he doesn't report more than 80 errors. Did
you ever try to fix a multithreaded programm? Did you even looked at the
source code?

We work current with the following 'solution', because cfservd crashes
between 30 seconds and 30 minutes:

while true; do /var/cfservd/bin/cfservd -D &> /dev/null; done

Great software. I still ask me today if cfengine created more work than
it saved us!

At the moment I don't have a week spare, and there is no CVS access
available. The daily 'snap.tgz' conatins sumtimes Solaris object files,
sometimes Linux object files. It's a real version tracking friendly
envrionment. Speak 'Mark Burgess' is very unorganized. And cfengine is a
mess at it's current state.

        Thomas

NIS woes

Post by UNIX admi » Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:09:57

Quote:> I think you need to learn about this really great tool on the internet
> called Google.  It gave me over 122,000 hits on cfengine.  The most
> relevent is

Oooh, yeeeaaah, "only" 122000 hits, well now, that's a breeze to sift
through in order to find information on something that I know nothing about.
I.e. I may be looking at info on "cfengine" and not know I'm looking at the
wrong stuff.

Yes, quite lovely.

1. NIS woes

Hello all,

I am having a bit of trouble making my fresh
slack7.0 install work with NIS. I did not
install the DES Crypt package (amongst others),
I was short on space.

I am able to 'ypcat passwd' and am also able to
su to any user in the NIS domain being that I
have a '+' as the last entry in my passwd file.

The problem is that I am unable to login as any
of those users. I think that this has something
to do with authentication, but that's as far as
I've got. The encrypted password strings that
appear in 'ypcat passwd' are shorter than the
ones in /etc/shadow. Are they using a different
encryption? is this the problem? The NIS server
is a Sun box.

Thanks for your help,
       -rob

2. Getting PID of background process

3. Solaris 2.4 NIS+ Woes

4. Software for OSR/5

5. NIS woes

6. Kill and waitpid ... strange behaviour?

7. Sun/IRIX NIS woes

8. Lost in Linuxland

9. NIS woes

10. NIS woes...