tar error: HELP - extract write error

Post by Peter C T » Mon, 09 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I am running tar extract on a Sun Sparc 5 with Solaris 2.5.1 configured,
64 meg ram, and 192 meg swap space. I always hit a tar extract error on big
tar files like the gcc.tar. tar will crash with output:
   HELP- extract write error.

I suspect it is running out of swap space, but is there any other reasons,
and what is the solution?

Thanks for any help.

tar error: HELP - extract write error

Post by Joerg Schilli » Tue, 10 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I am running tar extract on a Sun Sparc 5 with Solaris 2.5.1 configured,
>64 meg ram, and 192 meg swap space. I always hit a tar extract error on big
>tar files like the gcc.tar. tar will crash with output:
>   HELP- extract write error.

This is one of the narrow minded leftovers from UNIX V7.

Unfortunately most of the old tools do not print decent error messages.
Tar didn't change the last 15 Years in this point.

Either try truss -o /tmp/tar.truss tar .....

and look for the error code of the last failing system call
or get a decent tar.

Star prints readable error messages and can be found on

ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/star

Joerg
--

1. Help in writing script for extracting tar files, please!

Hey all,

I'm on a HP 715 system running HP-UX.

It has a 3 1/2 floppy drive.

We use tar to store and retrieve data files on floppies.

Some of these files are large and can span several floppies.

We use "tar vtf /f" (/f is a link) to list what's on
the floppy.

In a several floppy volume tar would have us feed
all the floppies in looking for the end of the file. We know
that and so as soon as we see the name of the file we hit ^C
to save some time and then we can start extracting it.

We see the filename on the screen and paste it on the
following line:
"tar -xvf /f filename"

So far so good.

I wrote a script that gets the filename and starts extracting
it, but you guessed it, it took FOREVER as it went through the
floppies looking for the end of file.

I want a script that can get the filename of the tar file on
the floppy and IMMEDIATLY stop the "listing" and start
extracting the tar file.

I need your help!

Write one or point me in the the right direction, I don't care!

Please email me and I'll post a summary, or if it is simple
just post it...

2. how to change ip on DNS server?

3. error while extracting tar file

4. ls command with LINUX-like color output

5. Checksum error extracting files with tar.

6. Newbie needs help in Baltimore area

7. extract write error

8. WANTED: 3-d TUX Model

9. tar -xvf mozilla.tar = tar: directory checksum error

10. tar: can't write to /dev/ftape : I/O error

11. tar error writing to tape drive

12. Tape drive write errors using TAR cmd.

13. Tar: tape write error during backup