Server upgrade form solaris 2.4 to 2.5

Post by Jay Sco » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>I plan to upgrade our main server from solaris 2.4 to solaris 2.5 next
>month. It has a sparc storage array and is our NIS+ server.

>Should I install solaris 2.5 from scratch or choose the update option?

if the upgrade will work, do the upgrade.

if the thing starts to upgrade and does "ttinstall core dump" or
something like that, check for packages with pkginfo files that
lack a BASEDIR= entry.  that causes those core dumps.  look for
them before you start -- forewarned is forearmed.  just use / as the
base dir entry.

and you'll have to be careful about the handling of the SSA.  upgrading
the firmware has to be done in the right order, and it used to be if
the firwware upgrade failed it erased what was there, and wouldn't proceed.
so you couldn't go back, and you couldn't re-try.  if you have to do it,
it may affect the order of things, but you'd have to do it whether you
were installing or upgrading.

tradeoffs:  the upgrade takes longer to execute, but less time to prepare.
the install is faster (in terms of how long the CD is spinning) but
you have to do much more preparation.

and, of course, you realize i'm not covering everything.

Quote:>If I choose to install from scratch, what must I take into account? How

everything.  i'm not kidding.

Quote:>to rebuild the NIS+ databases? What will happen with the credentials?
>Will all my other Suns have to be reconfigured because of a key change?

j.

--
Jay Scott               512-835-3553

Applied Research Labs, Computer Science Div.
University of Texas at Austin

Post by Andre Apr » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: >I plan to upgrade our main server from solaris 2.4 to solaris 2.5 next
: >month. It has a sparc storage array and is our NIS+ server.
: >
[...]

: --
: Jay Scott             512-835-3553

: Applied Research Labs, Computer Science Div.
: University of Texas at Austin

Frightening !!!

Andr April                      CEDITI

Tel: +32 (0)71/25.94.10          6041 Gosselies
Fax: +32 (0)71/37.20.64          Belgium

1. solaris 2.4 hangs + solaris 2.5 worth upgrading?

Hello, we have a sparcstation 20 that keeps hanging about every two
weeks running solaris 2.4. I did most of the bundled bug patches, and
somehow there seems to be a memory leak. It starts thrashing more
and more until it hangs.

We run OW3.0 that came with it and about the only thing besides
that that is running is mailx, xterm, and some of the other regular
stuff (clock, filetool, etc.). Sometimes programs are compiled
using Sun's C compiler (not gnu c), but compilation is short and
doesn't cause thrashing (at least not directly). We do import/export
nfs mounting but nothing fancy. Oh, we also run netscape 1.1 for
solaris2.

Is 2.5 any better? Should we upgrade?

Please email to me if you have experience with 2.5 good or bad
compared to older versions. Thank you.

+-------- Jong-Min Park -=?B?EUC-KR?udrBvrnO?=-1?1?-----------

| Office: (608)-263-7784       266 ME Bldg
+-------- University of Wisconsin - Madison

2. modem woes

3. Upgrade Solaris 2.4 to Solaris 2.5

4. HoW do I set up sudo access?

5. Upgrade Solaris 2.4 to 2.5/2.6 Question

6. Simple question .. adding a CDROM drive ..

7. Worth to upgrade from Solaris 2.4 to 2.5?

8. Has anybody installed RH 7.3 on VIA EPIA 5000??

9. Upgrading Solaris 2.4 -> 2.5

10. Upgrade installation of Solaris 2.5 from 2.4

11. Upgrading Solaris 2.4 -> 2.5

12. PPP on Solaris 2.4 for Sparc, Matrox PCI Millenium Card under Solaris 2.5 x86

13. Solaris 2.4 --> Solaris 2.5: strict POSIX compliance inquiry