Newbie hardware config. question.

Post by Leon Gustar » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

We have an Ultra2, running solaris 2.5.1 and need to install a second
hard disk.

The disk is correctly installed (ie physically in place)- but I can't
find any information anywhere about configuring it!

Could somebody please help - or at least point me in the right
direction.

TIA

Leon

Leon Gustard
GEC Alsthom - Metro Cammell Ltd
Birmingham
U.K.

Newbie hardware config. question.

Post by Benjamin Lenglar » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

HI,

You have to find What for ein /dev/ scsi Id it has ( you must have setted it
up on a free one )
Then mount it on /export/home0 or home1 or more ...
make a mountall to update the mnttab ( make a backup of this file before !!)
So it is, So its works !!
Ben
(ps. it exists solstice tools to do this !!)

>Hi,

>We have an Ultra2, running solaris 2.5.1 and need to install a second
>hard disk.

>The disk is correctly installed (ie physically in place)- but I can't
>find any information anywhere about configuring it!

>Could somebody please help - or at least point me in the right
>direction.

>TIA

>Leon

>Leon Gustard
>GEC Alsthom - Metro Cammell Ltd
>Birmingham
>U.K.

Newbie hardware config. question.

Post by Paul Arche » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

You need to either 'touch /reconfigure' and reboot, or reboot the machine
from the ok prompt with 'boot -r'. Either of these (or both, but that's
overkill) will tell the machine to check for new hardware. After that, you
can run format to set up the partition(s) you want on the new disk, and
then newfs to actually create the new filesystem(s).

BTW, this and much more is covered in SA-285 or SA-286 (for 2.6),
available from Sun, and many Sun-affiliated training centers.

Paul Archer
Barrios Training Center
Houston, TX

> We have an Ultra2, running solaris 2.5.1 and need to install a second
> hard disk.
> The disk is correctly installed (ie physically in place)- but I can't
> find any information anywhere about configuring it!
> Could somebody please help - or at least point me in the right
> direction.
> TIA
> Leon
> Leon Gustard
> GEC Alsthom - Metro Cammell Ltd
> Birmingham
> U.K.

On the side of the software box, in the "System Requirements" section,
it said "Requires Windows 95 or better".  So I installed Linux.

1. Newbie hardware config. question.

Or there's an easier way without a system reboot.

Just enter "drvconfig; disks"

--
Bob

2. Lost last data from socket-send()

3. Newbie Question - Supported Hardware Question.

4. MASQURADED PORTS

5. Question: Jumpstart/Hardware Config

6. Disk Partitioning

7. Minimum HArdware Config Question

8. dvips in Slackware 2.0.2 broken? (Dave Linder)

9. (Newbie Question) Hardware recommendations for Unix server?

10. Hardware newbie: modem question

11. Newbie hardware compatability question

12. Newbie Hardware Question

13. Newbie Question about Linux Compatible Hardware