Backing up PC's to SUN's using PC-NFS

Post by Dick Gr » Thu, 06 Jul 1995 04:00:00

With increasing size of hard disks on PC's we would like to be able to backup
our PC's directly to a tape drive on a SUN via pc-nfs. It would appear that
you can see a PC's disk from the SUN if the PC user is running 'ftpd', but the
PCNFS User's Guide says that it is recommended that ftpd is run under DOS only
to avoid performance problems with windows applications.

Is anyone using ftpd under windows, and if so is there a real performance
problem?

If you have this (PC/SUN) situation, and you are backing up across the network,
but you are _not_ using ftpd, how _are_ you doing it?

Dick
--

Dialog Semiconductor           _/   _/ _/ _/    _/ _/    _/   _/ _/
Mixed-Signal Asics for All    _/   _/ _/ _/_/_/_/ _/    _/   _/ _/ _/_/

Backing up PC's to SUN's using PC-NFS

Post by Alexis Oosterho » Sun, 09 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>With increasing size of hard disks on PC's we would like to be able to backup
>our PC's directly to a tape drive on a SUN via pc-nfs. It would appear that
>you can see a PC's disk from the SUN if the PC user is running 'ftpd', but the
>PCNFS User's Guide says that it is recommended that ftpd is run under DOS only
>to avoid performance problems with windows applications.
>Is anyone using ftpd under windows, and if so is there a real performance
>problem?
>If you have this (PC/SUN) situation, and you are backing up across the network,
>but you are _not_ using ftpd, how _are_ you doing it?

Grab the shareware software "WinTar" -- this will allow you to access a
SUN tape drive directly from a Windows (you'll need PC-NFS v5.x with Winsock).
It's very good software, is cheap to buy, and allows you to tar you PC disk
drives.  I've found it to be extremely useful.

Alexis.
--

Systems Administrator
WNI Science & Engineering and Weathernews Pty Ltd

Post by Mark Fro » Sat, 15 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>>With increasing size of hard disks on PC's we would like to be able to backup
>>our PC's directly to a tape drive on a SUN via pc-nfs. It would appear that
>>you can see a PC's disk from the SUN if the PC user is running 'ftpd', but the
>>PCNFS User's Guide says that it is recommended that ftpd is run under DOS only
>>to avoid performance problems with windows applications.

>>Is anyone using ftpd under windows, and if so is there a real performance
>>problem?

>>If you have this (PC/SUN) situation, and you are backing up across the network,
>>but you are _not_ using ftpd, how _are_ you doing it?

>Grab the shareware software "WinTar" -- this will allow you to access a
>SUN tape drive directly from a Windows (you'll need PC-NFS v5.x with Winsock).
>It's very good software, is cheap to buy, and allows you to tar you PC disk
>drives.  I've found it to be extremely useful.

>Alexis.

Has anyone got wintar to work with PCNFS Pro?  I have found that neither
WinTar nor Legato's NetWorker will work with PCNFS Pro as a TCP/IP
stack.  WinTar sends the data, but it's never readable on the UNIX end.
(I worked with the wintar authors for a while on this, but was unable
to find a solution -- I'm beginning to wonder if buying PCNFS Pro wasn't
a big mistake...)

-mark frost

1. Looking for Cheap/Free PC-NFS Client Clone for PC's.

I was looking for a utility/client for a PC that would allow me to mount
a UNIX directory, disk, or file as a PC file.  We are running LAT
connected to a VAX, but we suddenly became sane and decided that if
funding allowed we would connect the already existing PC's with their
already existing PATHWORKS network card and mount
drives/directories/disks off our soon to be existing UNIX server (a
SPARCstation 20 model 50) if we could use inexpensive software/hardware.
Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated!

-AJW

2. Something odd with telnet, ftp, rlogin.....

3. SUMMARY: ARE THERE ANY ALTERNATIVES FOR PC-NFS BESIDES SUN'S OFFERING

4. unix utilities for WinNT

5. ARE THERE ANY ALTERNATIVES FOR PC-NFS BESIDES SUN'S OFFERING

6. Is a maildrop directory possible in UNIX?

7. Backing Up Linux PC on Solaris PC's DAT.

8. solears 2.6->2.8 cold or upgrade?

9. Can't write to linux dos partition using PC-NFS 5.0b

10. PC-NFS 5.1 'rsh' has problems with Linux 2.0.0

11. window-pc can't connect with linux-pc using mgetty

12. PC-NFS PC-to-PC copy is it possible?

13. mount PC files on UNIX using PC-NFS?