Solaris 8 installation problem

Post by R. Gangul » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 02:10:15

Hi all:

I bought a copy of Sol 8 last year and from time to time make half hearted
effort to install the OS without much success.  The latest failure is as
follows:

I get past the initial fdisk issues and get done with the Installation CD
and reboot.  The process then asks for Software CD 1 of 2.  I stick this in
the tray, insert and click OK.  The system spits it out saying it can't read
the CD.

I also tried booting from this CD and a funny thing happens - the kernel
boot from CD using a DCA floppy but then it cannot mount the CD because it
does not like the file system.  I am able to mount the CD under Linux and
separately under MS NT - directory listing looks OK to  me.

I checked the latest faqs and turned off all caching in the BIOS setup, etc.

The latest DCA diskettes freeze the system (old Pentium Pro, PCI/ISA
motherboard, matrox video, eide drive (8.4GB) and cdrom, floppy, nothing
*).  I had 2.5, 2.6 run on it okay.

Any ideas.

thnks - RG

Solaris 8 installation problem

Post by Mourad de Ric » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 06:50:33

Hi,

> I get past the initial fdisk issues and get done with the Installation CD
> and reboot.  The process then asks for Software CD 1 of 2.  I stick this in
> the tray, insert and click OK.  The system spits it out saying it can't read
> the CD.

Are you sure you are inserting the correct disc? There are 4 discs.

1. Install Disc
2. Software Disc 1
3. Software Disc 2
4. Documentation Disc (optional).

Perhaps you have a faulty disc, check the surface and other obvious things.

--
Regards, Mourad de Riche
Omnix Resources Online (http.//www.omnix.dk)

One Unix to rule them all....

Solaris 8 installation problem

Post by R. Gangul » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 11:54:22

You are correct about the number of CDs.  I am loading the Software CD #1 of
2 when requested by the installer and it keeps (r)ejecting it.

I mounted the CD under Linux and am able to get a directory listing, am able
to read the .files in the CD's root directory.

I also see there is active discussion thread on this subject on Sun's
support site.  By the way my version of Solaris 8 is 2/00 release.

- RG

> Hi,

> > I get past the initial fdisk issues and get done with the Installation
CD
> > and reboot.  The process then asks for Software CD 1 of 2.  I stick this
in
> > the tray, insert and click OK.  The system spits it out saying it can't
read
> > the CD.

> Are you sure you are inserting the correct disc? There are 4 discs.

> 1. Install Disc
> 2. Software Disc 1
> 3. Software Disc 2
> 4. Documentation Disc (optional).

> Perhaps you have a faulty disc, check the surface and other obvious
things.

> --
> Regards, Mourad de Riche
> Omnix Resources Online (http.//www.omnix.dk)

> One Unix to rule them all....

Solaris 8 installation problem

Post by Mourad de Ric » Thu, 12 Jul 2001 16:26:42

Hi

> I also see there is active discussion thread on this subject on Sun's
> support site.  By the way my version of Solaris 8 is 2/00 release.

Ok, cool... i just have seen people messing around with the wrong discs
8-), which ofcause can be quite frustrating...

--

Post by Paul Flo » Sun, 15 Jul 2001 02:45:34

>Hi all:

>I bought a copy of Sol 8 last year and from time to time make half hearted
>effort to install the OS without much success.  The latest failure is as
>follows:

>I get past the initial fdisk issues and get done with the Installation CD
>and reboot.  The process then asks for Software CD 1 of 2.  I stick this in
>the tray, insert and click OK.  The system spits it out saying it can't read
>the CD.

>I also tried booting from this CD and a funny thing happens - the kernel
>boot from CD using a DCA floppy but then it cannot mount the CD because it
>does not like the file system.  I am able to mount the CD under Linux and
>separately under MS NT - directory listing looks OK to  me.

>I checked the latest faqs and turned off all caching in the BIOS setup, etc.

>The latest DCA diskettes freeze the system (old Pentium Pro, PCI/ISA
>motherboard, matrox video, eide drive (8.4GB) and cdrom, floppy, nothing
>*).  I had 2.5, 2.6 run on it okay.

>Any ideas.

I believe that some of the disks have 2 slices. It's possible that the
boot slice is good, but that the data slice is bad.

Do you have access to a working Solaris machine to mount the disk?

A bientot
Paul
--
Paul Floyd                 http://www.veryComputer.com/ (for what it's worth)

If more is better, are double standards better than single ones?

Solaris 8 installation problem

Post by R. Gangul » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 07:59:11

no paul....but i have access to linux...what did you have in mind??

RG

> >Hi all:

> >I bought a copy of Sol 8 last year and from time to time make half
hearted
> >effort to install the OS without much success.  The latest failure is as
> >follows:

> >I get past the initial fdisk issues and get done with the Installation CD
> >and reboot.  The process then asks for Software CD 1 of 2.  I stick this
in
> >the tray, insert and click OK.  The system spits it out saying it can't
read
> >the CD.

> >I also tried booting from this CD and a funny thing happens - the kernel
> >boot from CD using a DCA floppy but then it cannot mount the CD because
it
> >does not like the file system.  I am able to mount the CD under Linux and
> >separately under MS NT - directory listing looks OK to  me.

> >I checked the latest faqs and turned off all caching in the BIOS setup,
etc.

> >The latest DCA diskettes freeze the system (old Pentium Pro, PCI/ISA
> >motherboard, matrox video, eide drive (8.4GB) and cdrom, floppy, nothing
> >*).  I had 2.5, 2.6 run on it okay.

> >Any ideas.

> I believe that some of the disks have 2 slices. It's possible that the
> boot slice is good, but that the data slice is bad.

> Do you have access to a working Solaris machine to mount the disk?

> A bientot
> Paul
> --
> Paul Floyd                 http://www.veryComputer.com/ (for what it's worth)

> If more is better, are double standards better than single ones?

Solaris 8 installation problem

Post by gefi » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 09:09:12

I had a same problem..... I changed a CDrom unit and I did not have any
problems with install. process.. Not all CDroms are fully compatible.

Bay George.

> no paul....but i have access to linux...what did you have in mind??

> RG

> > >Hi all:

> > >I bought a copy of Sol 8 last year and from time to time make half
> hearted
> > >effort to install the OS without much success.  The latest failure is
as
> > >follows:

> > >I get past the initial fdisk issues and get done with the Installation
CD
> > >and reboot.  The process then asks for Software CD 1 of 2.  I stick
this
> in
> > >the tray, insert and click OK.  The system spits it out saying it can't
> read
> > >the CD.

> > >I also tried booting from this CD and a funny thing happens - the
kernel
> > >boot from CD using a DCA floppy but then it cannot mount the CD because
> it
> > >does not like the file system.  I am able to mount the CD under Linux
and
> > >separately under MS NT - directory listing looks OK to  me.

> > >I checked the latest faqs and turned off all caching in the BIOS setup,
> etc.

> > >The latest DCA diskettes freeze the system (old Pentium Pro, PCI/ISA
> > >motherboard, matrox video, eide drive (8.4GB) and cdrom, floppy,
nothing
> > >*).  I had 2.5, 2.6 run on it okay.

> > >Any ideas.

> > I believe that some of the disks have 2 slices. It's possible that the
> > boot slice is good, but that the data slice is bad.

> > Do you have access to a working Solaris machine to mount the disk?

> > A bientot
> > Paul
> > --
> > Paul Floyd                 http://www.veryComputer.com/ (for what it's worth)

> > If more is better, are double standards better than single ones?

Solaris 8 installation problem

Post by Paul Herman » Sat, 28 Jul 2001 20:04:21

Just skip the installation CD. Start with booting from CD1
If you do a end user install it won't ask for CD2 at all

> no paul....but i have access to linux...what did you have in mind??

> RG

> > >Hi all:

> > >I bought a copy of Sol 8 last year and from time to time make half
> hearted
> > >effort to install the OS without much success.  The latest failure is
as
> > >follows:

> > >I get past the initial fdisk issues and get done with the Installation
CD
> > >and reboot.  The process then asks for Software CD 1 of 2.  I stick
this
> in
> > >the tray, insert and click OK.  The system spits it out saying it can't
> read
> > >the CD.

> > >I also tried booting from this CD and a funny thing happens - the
kernel
> > >boot from CD using a DCA floppy but then it cannot mount the CD because
> it
> > >does not like the file system.  I am able to mount the CD under Linux
and
> > >separately under MS NT - directory listing looks OK to  me.

> > >I checked the latest faqs and turned off all caching in the BIOS setup,
> etc.

> > >The latest DCA diskettes freeze the system (old Pentium Pro, PCI/ISA
> > >motherboard, matrox video, eide drive (8.4GB) and cdrom, floppy,
nothing
> > >*).  I had 2.5, 2.6 run on it okay.

> > >Any ideas.

> > I believe that some of the disks have 2 slices. It's possible that the
> > boot slice is good, but that the data slice is bad.

> > Do you have access to a working Solaris machine to mount the disk?

> > A bientot
> > Paul
> > --
> > Paul Floyd                 http://www.veryComputer.com/ (for what it's worth)

> > If more is better, are double standards better than single ones?

1. Solaris 2.6 installation problem

Hello folks,
Got a new ultra-5 yesterday and i am having
problems to install Solaris 2.6. The system
comes up complaining with the error
        boot: cannot find kernel/unix

Have tried numerous workarounds including interactive
boots, giving path /platform/sun4u/kernel/unix instead
of kernel/unix but none worked. Trying to install from
network gives the same error.
The manual proposes a solution :
'Reset the boot file in the PROM to "" (blank)'
but i dont know how to do that and my vendor was not
quite keen to get into this. Any clues ?

kind regards
/P

2. Netscape Enterprise SlowDown

3. Solaris 7 Installation Problem.

4. TCP socket to UDP socket?

5. Solaris 10 installation Problem

6. keeping track of files on two hosts with rcp

7. Solaris 7 Installation Problems

8. host name

9. Solaris 7 installation problem

10. Solaris x86 Installation problems

11. Solaris x86 installation problems

12. Solaris 7x86 installation problems...

13. Solaris 10 Installation Problem