Deskjet 550c - Ghostscript - Solaris 2.2 (help !)

Deskjet 550c - Ghostscript - Solaris 2.2 (help !)

Post by Erick Ad » Fri, 27 Aug 1993 05:41:10

Hi everyone,

I've connected a Deskjet 550c to the serial port of a Sparc LX, But I can
only print ascii files.   I would like to use ghostscript to print postscript
files on this printer but up to now I can only produce garbage.

I order to stop wasting massive amounts of paper,  I would like to hear
anyone who succeded in solving a similar problem.

I tried choosing file type "any" with the standard printer configuration as well
as stty to send raw data but it doesn't work.

I could install the printer on a machine running Sun OS 4.1.2 without problem ->
Therefore my problem seems to be my understanding of Solaris 2.2.

Sorry if this is a FAQ.   I'll summarize if there is enough interest.

Thanks in advance for your help,
---

Geological Survey of Canada
Continental Geoscience Division
1 Observatory Crescent
Ottawa Ontario K1A OY3
Phone (613) 947 1579
Fax   (613) 992 8836

Post by R. Stewart Ell » Fri, 27 Aug 1993 10:11:40

>Hi everyone,
>I've connected a Deskjet 550c to the serial port of a Sparc LX, But I can
>only print ascii files.   I would like to use ghostscript to print postscript
>files on this printer but up to now I can only produce garbage.

[delete]

Quote:>I tried choosing file type "any" with the standard printer configuration as well
>as stty to send raw data but it doesn't work.

[delete]

The biggest issue is to ensure that the channel to the printer is in raw
mode.  You can edit the interface file, either the model
/var/spool/lp/standard, which will affect all future instances, or you can
edit the installed interface files in /etc/lp/interfaces.  You can directly
edit the stty settings including baud rate.  For sending gs prepared files
over a serial line you would probably want to use the 19200 baud and set
stty to -parity -opost crtscts.  You can also do this by using lpadmin to
set the stty settings that will be sent when the printer fires off.

George Cameron in England has sent a package of filters to the ghostscript
list, which he says has showed up in England.  I have not seen it yet in
News.  He sent it to me. I am having problems getting it to properly handle
Postscript by default, but he is using it with a dj550c.  I am making
progress, but it is a step at a time.

Good luck.  When I get it all figured out I will probably post as well.

--
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)313-762-9765   ___________________
  Humanities & Social Science,  GMI Eng.& Mgmt. Inst.    /   _____  ______

  Gopher,News and sendmail maintainer, all around hack /________/ /  /  / /

Post by g.camero » Sat, 28 Aug 1993 01:18:44

> >Hi everyone,

> >I've connected a Deskjet 550c to the serial port of a Sparc LX, But I can
> >only print ascii files.   I would like to use ghostscript to print postscript
> >files on this printer but up to now I can only produce garbage.

> [delete]

> >I tried choosing file type "any" with the standard printer configuration as well
>as stty to send raw data but it doesn't work.

> [delete]

> The biggest issue is to ensure that the channel to the printer is in raw
> mode.  You can edit the interface file, either the model
> /var/spool/lp/standard, which will affect all future instances, or you can
> edit the installed interface files in /etc/lp/interfaces.  You can directly
> edit the stty settings including baud rate.  For sending gs prepared files
> over a serial line you would probably want to use the 19200 baud and set
> stty to -parity -opost crtscts.  You can also do this by using lpadmin to
> set the stty settings that will be sent when the printer fires off.

> George Cameron in England has sent a package of filters to the ghostscript

Say that too loud and you might find a few kilts and haggises flying in your
direction ;-) ... Aberdeen is definitely NOT in England!! It's in the north(ish)
of Scotland .. the UK's Oil capital (amongst other things).

Quote:> list, which he says has showed up in England.  I have not seen it yet in

The information which may be of interest to Solaris-2 Ghostscript users is
that some examples of my lp installation and filter scripts may be obtained via
anonymous ftp from

        apollo.biomed.abdn.ac.uk (139.133.211.47)

in directory /pub/gsutils/unix-lp and subdirectory fd thereof. The examples are
for mono and colour Deskjets (including the 550C), but should be readily
extensible to other drivers. Accounting and error-logging are also implemented
(although Solaris 2 doesn't care to provide them); accounting is via 'pac', so
users wishing to use this feature will need either to use the old Solaris 1 version
or to get and compile one of the PD versions.

Quote:> News.  He sent it to me. I am having problems getting it to properly handle
> Postscript by default, but he is using it with a dj550c.  I am making
> progress, but it is a step at a time.

> Good luck.  When I get it all figured out I will probably post as well.

George

 Dept. BioMedical Physics
 Aberdeen University
 Foresterhill                    Fax:           +44 (0)224-685645
 Aberdeen AB9 2ZD                Telephone:     +44 (0)224-681818 ext 53195

Deskjet 550c - Ghostscript - Solaris 2.2 (help !)

Post by R. Stewart Ell » Sat, 28 Aug 1993 02:27:03

[delete]

Quote:>> George Cameron in England has sent a package of filters to the ghostscript
>Say that too loud and you might find a few kilts and haggises flying in your
>direction ;-) ... Aberdeen is definitely NOT in England!! It's in the north(ish)
>of Scotland .. the UK's Oil capital (amongst other things).

Sorry George.  We yanks sometimes tend to gloss over such stuff.  I would
not mind a few kilts however.  The last time I priced one (1978 or so) they
were worth about $400US.  Haggises will be dutifully stopped by customs
because they contain offal according to US regs (sheep lungs are the
offending part if I remember right).

:)

[much helpful info from Georrrge deleted]

--
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)313-762-9765   ___________________
  Humanities & Social Science,  GMI Eng.& Mgmt. Inst.    /   _____  ______

  Gopher,News and sendmail maintainer, all around hack /________/ /  /  / /

1. Problem with Ghostscript, sending PS.docs to HP deskjet 550C

Is there anyone out there who can help me?
I am having problems trying to send postscript documents to my HP Deskjet
550C, through Ghostscript ver 2.6.1.
I have typed in the command 'gs -sDEVICE=cdj550 -sPAPERSIZE=a4 myfile.ps'.
This I am told redirects the output to the printer, The busy light doesn't
even come on.

Thanking you in advance

Raphael

2. Stupid ? from newbie

3. IBM V.90 PC Card Modem

4. Need Help: Problem with HP DeskJet 550C

5. Xwin Problems

6. HELP: HP DeskJet 550C

7. SuSE Linux 8.2 Professional .. Linux desktop perfection -- NEWSFORGE.com

8. HELP with HP DeskJet 550C

9. Help Using HP Deskjet 550C color printer with RS/6000 AIX 3.2.1

10. Need Help using HP DeskJet 550C printer with RS/6000

11. HP Deskjet 550C Printing Help: Staircase Effect

12. Ghostscript,printing, HP 550c printer