NIS+ Compatibility Mode (NIS Client - calendar problem)?

NIS+ Compatibility Mode (NIS Client - calendar problem)?

Post by Mike Soldat » Fri, 29 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I'm having problems with the calendar manager (rpc.cmsd) not
coming up on my NIS-clients when running in NIS+ compatibility mode.

Setup:
        Solaris 2.4 - (Sparc10) NIS+ Compatibility mode (master)
        SunOS 4.1.3 - (Sparc 2) NIS (client)

        patch 100528-21 or 100538-21 or something like that (Jumbo patch)
        has been installed on the SunOS system. Sorry about the patch
        number, I'm doing this from home and I don't remember the patch ID

Each time a user starts up the calendar manager on the 4.1.x machine and
opens the CM icon, CM reports it doesn't find a rpc.cmsd running or you
have not ran the install_cmgr script.

I have ran the install_cmgr script and verified that it was in the
/etc/inetd.conf file.

I have also trying starting the rpc.cmsd daemon and still get the same
results.

I have ran through SunSolve with no luck,

I have even set the NIS+ passwd.org_dir to be (read) for nobody.

Any ideas what may be the problem?

Tanks for any help...

Company: Hughes Aircraft Co.

1. 4.1.3_U1 NIS client of NIS+ in compatibility mode

Hi,

we just set up a 4.1.3_U1 machine as an NIS client to our NIS+ servers.
All seems to be going well.  We now create a new user, ping everything,
and ypcat on the NIS machine shows the new account and group entries.

But I can't log in! I can't even cd ~user.  So, what's wrong on the NIS
side?  All the old users are working just fine.  The new user can
log into all the NIS+ machines, but not the NIS client.

Also, is it required that the passwd column in the passwd table have
a permission of nobody+read so that NIS clients can get the passwd?
Is this in the manuals somewhere?

* BNL, Building 515                                  Phone:  (516)-282-3790   *
* Upton, NY 11973   http://pubweb.bnl.gov/~stange/   Fax:    (516)-282-7688   *

2. Modules for pl11+

3. NIS+ (compat mode) problem with NIS clients

4. Linux-TIA HOWTO

5. nis+ ( in nis compatibility mode) in heterogenous environs

6. Mouse pointer in KDE

7. Would NIS+ master work with NIS+ compatibility mode running as replicate

8. Trident 9440 - current status

9. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

10. NIS+ NIS compatibility mode and the 'passwd' map

11. NIS+ in NIS compatibility mode

12. NIS+ NIS V2 compatibility mode...

13. Problems with NIS compatibility mode w/ HPUX client