Stopping telnet logins

Post by Tikkana Akura » Fri, 26 Aug 1994 23:59:35

How can you stop users logging into the system using telnet from a
different machine?
O.S : solaris.2.3

Thanks.

- Tikkana

Stopping telnet logins

Post by Luca Po » Sat, 27 Aug 1994 16:30:52

>How can you stop users logging into the system using telnet from a
>different machine?
>O.S : solaris.2.3

A "quick-and-dirty" solution is to comment out "telnet" (and "shell", and
"login", etc.) services in /etc/inetd.conf, then issue a "kill -1 <inetd PID>"
so that the new configuration is loaded.
If you need to restore them, just restore the file and issue a kill again.

A cleaner solution (IMO) is to use TCP wrappers and/or logdaemon: they don't
disable telnet services & Co., but provide a mean to allow/prohibit connec-
tions based on the source host address (TCP wrapper) or login name (logdaemon).
Both tools are at ftp.win.tue.nl, /pub/security.

Regards,
Luca Polo.
--
+-----------------------------------------++---------------------------+

| address and phone numbers)              || Universita` di Padova.    |

1. Telnet sessions not stopping for login prompt

Hello,

I have AIX 4.3.3 on an H80 (quad processor, 4 GB of RAM) with 2
Ethernet interfaces, 100baseTX and Gigabit.
The problem is that on 1 out of every 12-15 telnet connections the
system does not stop at the login prompt and goes directly to the
password prompt. I average 360 telnet sessions to this server

Both interfaces are set for speed and duplex (no auto negotiation), on
both the switch (Cisco 3548) and in AIX.

I have a 170 with 4.3.3 connected to the same switch without any
problems

Any help is appreciated.
Chris

2. Toshiba CDROM working?

3. telnet programming: CAI IP does NOT stop telnet???

4. Create user for system backup??

5. telnet programming: CAI IP does not stop telnet???

6. Apache Problem w/UW 2.1. FIN_WAIT_2...

7. telnet programming: CAI IP does NOT stop telnet???

8. Go to a specific point?

9. Telnet looping and No hostname from telnet logins

10. Telnet login screen looks different then login screen on box

11. how do I disable telnet login with certain user id, only allowing console login?

12. Telnet stopped working