PCNFSpro under Win95 - Can't print to network printers

PCNFSpro under Win95 - Can't print to network printers

Post by Greg He » Sat, 30 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Let's try this again.  I posted to sun-managers but got nothing back.

I am running a Sparc20 server with PC's using both Windows 3.1 and
more recently, Windows 95.  Although I had no problem installing
PCNFSpro (1.1.1.0) under 95, I can't print to network printers anymore
(i.e., printers spooled from the server, not the Windows Network).
Here is the message I get when sending a print job:

--
There was an error writing to LPT2: for printer (HP LaserJet4V/4MV
Postscript):

I have looked in the sun-managers archives as well, but can't find
anything related.  And I have had the problem with every 95 box I have
installed.

What gives?!?

Thanks for any help!

Greg

--
Greg Heim
Network Administrator

Post by James R. Seama » Wed, 03 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> I am running a Sparc20 server with PC's using both Windows 3.1 and
> more recently, Windows 95.  Although I had no problem installing
> PCNFSpro (1.1.1.0) under 95, I can't print to network printers anymore
> (i.e., printers spooled from the server, not the Windows Network).
> Here is the message I get when sending a print job:

> --
> There was an error writing to LPT2: for printer (HP LaserJet4V/4MV
> Postscript):
> There was a problem printing to the port.
> Check to make sure your printer is configured to use a valid port.
> This printer will be set to work offline.
> To save your print job in the local printer queue, click OK.
> --

> I have looked in the sun-managers archives as well, but can't find
> anything related.  And I have had the problem with every 95 box I have
> installed.

Had the same problem and after requesting help from Sun Tech support
they sent me the following.  I de-installed all printers from the
win95, then installed through the PCnfs login/logout , then
went through the steps of identifing  pcnfs printer first to win95.
Everything worked - this time....

jim

SRDB ID: 12552

SYNOPSIS: pcnfspro 2.0, and Win95 printing does not work

DETAIL DESCRIPTION:

How do you set up printing or if you set up a printer with PC-NFSpro 2.0 and
Windows 95, but printing does not work?

Using the login/logout utility to mount the printer and using
the printer wizard to configure a printer local using the correct
printer driver.  Printing a test page gives an error message like the
following:

There was an error writing to LPT1: for the printer (Apple LaserWriter
II NTX): Cannot access the port. It may be us use by another program.
Quit other programs and try printing again.

In printer properties, the General page shows nothing in the comment
box.  The Details page shows the printer port as LPT1: server:printer
correctly.

No print jobs come out.

SOLUTION SUMMARY:

Win95 can not access a pcnfs-pro 2.0 mounted network printer unless it is
mounted first.

Therefore, delete any printer definitions in windows.

Use login/logout utility -- settings -- nework printer connections
to dismount then mount the printer.

Then, add and setup the printer using the win95 printer wizard.

Also, Pcnfspro 2.0 does not show up as part of the Win95 network if you do a
browse.

Therefore, you should select local printer for any Pcnfspro 2.0
network printers when installing them on Win95.
--

National Library of Medicine - National Institutes of Health
Bldg 38A RM 712     8600 Rockville Pike Bethesda, MD   20894

1. Printing Win95-Samba-Jetdirect stall's if offline or printer not ready

I have a problem printing with a Win95 to a printer serviced by samba and
printing to a hp-jetdirect. When the printer is off or off-line or
out-of-paper then windows 95 stall's almost completely. Putting the printer
on-line frees windows 95 again.
I use a spool directory so i don't understand. I even tried to print to a
linux-spool which printed it to another spool which printed it to the
jetdirect. No solution here either. Windows 95 supprised me because a
printjob entering spool one and ending up in the last spool waiting for the
printer to come on-line, was still visible in the printer status window.
I'dont understand. A spool-dir is to spool, not to communicate with
windows.

Someone's got a nice idea? I need to get it working.

Janno

2. How to mount a CDROM over the network?

3. Can't get Win95 printer to print from SCO ODT5

4. QUESTION: how do you save man pages to an ASCII file

5. Cann't get samba to print from win95 to linux printer!!!!!!

6. TIOCNOTTY definition

7. Files for installing a networked NeXT laser printer under Win95 (Was: Black Next 2.2 + Linux != networking?)

8. Apache 1.1.3 setup/config

9. can't print properly on a network printer

10. Linux won't print to my local printer, only to network

11. can't see Win95 shares through Linux to Win95 network

12. can't print out line feed and carriage return (control character) on a network printer.

13. Can't print to Network Printer