ARP table does not update

Post by Marc » Sat, 18 Jun 2005 01:44:17

Dear All,
I have this problem on several Sun on our LAN.
When our LAN manager replaces the firewall box that divides
2 parts of the same LAN or the dns box
(same ip-address but different mac-address)
my SUNs can not reach the other part of the network, while other
linux box could reach one to each other on the same 2 branches of the
network.
It seems that those computer do not recognize that
the couple ip-address mac-address has change.
When I reboot, than everything work fine again.

Unfortunately I missed the chance to delete the ARP entry
from the table and see what happen.

Do you have any suggestion for fixing the problem?

Thanks in advance
   Marco

ARP table does not update

Post by Bruno Bonfil » Sat, 18 Jun 2005 18:33:27

> It seems that those computer do not recognize that
> the couple ip-address mac-address has change.
> When I reboot, than everything work fine again.

> Unfortunately I missed the chance to delete the ARP entry
> from the table and see what happen.

> Do you have any suggestion for fixing the problem?

Send an ARP gratuitous from your router/firewall (to broadcast, for
example), the box should update the ARP cache.

--
\_o<

1. ARP table not getting updated

Hi All,

We are developing an ethernet streams driver on SOlaris 2.5.
We tested ping, ftp and telnet across driver. They are all
working fine, but the system ARP table is not getting updated.
(i.e. "arp -a" does not show an ARP entry).

Is there something that has to be done for the ARP table to be
updated? Any help is appreciated.

Thank You.

- Shobhan

Shobhan Lakkapragada
Ficon Technology                 Voice:  (908) 283-2770
1000 Route 9 North               Fax  :  (908) 283-2848

2. Clean up CREDITS a bit.

3. ARP table do not update

4. Hacked? odd /bin/login on webserver.

5. ARP table update

6. What is the default UFS_NINODES?

7. bootpd / arp table update problem

8. Help w/ UUCP and sendmail on SCO boxes.

9. MAC address does not show up on the telco's ARP table caches

10. Kernel IP Routing tables do not update

11. To ARP or not to arp ...

12. I can not get ARP to work, even though /proc/net/arp is correct!

13. iptables v1.2.2: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Table does not exist