Installing Solaris 2.4 X86 on IBM 755CX notebook

Installing Solaris 2.4 X86 on IBM 755CX notebook

Post by Stuart.Big.. » Fri, 15 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

I wish to install X86 on a 2.25 GB SCSI drive in an IBM Dock II which
holds an IBM 755CX notebook (75MHz Pentium, 40 MB RAM, 1.2 GB
internal IDE drive).  I have 3 partitions on the IDE drive (51 MB C for DOS,
200 MB D for OS/2 Warp, and the rest on E for Warp Connect).  I wish
to have 3 partitions on the SCSI drive (Warp Connect, Solaris 2.4 (or 2.5),
and WinNT).  I had used Warp fdisk to put 3 extended partitions on the SCSI
drive and installed Connect in one and NT in the other.  That worked without
the SCSI BIOS translation for > 1GB drives turned on.  Solaris did NOT
seem to recognize but a single partition.  I was planning to try to install
Solaris 2.4X86 in the middle 900 MB extended partition I made a mistake with
NT and trashed the partition table on the SCSI drive so I removed all partitions
on the SCSI drive and tried to install Solaris.  The Dock has 2 SCSI devices
connected:  the 2.25 GB IBM UltraStar XP SCSI-II drive and an IBM 4X
SCSI-II CD-ROM.

I turned on translation in the SCSI bios per the DU9 docs on AHA-1522
SCSI controller (I think the Dock has a AIC 6360 chip and OS/2 uses a
AHA152X.ADD driver for the Dock SCSI).  I have System Commander V2.20
installed on the IDE disk to easily boot DOS or either Warp.  I then installed
Sol 2.4 using the DU9 diskettes and the CD-ROM in the Dock II.  Seemed to
install but it will NOT boot even from the DU9 disks.  System commander
knows about Solaris but it can't boot Solaris off the SCSI disk either.  It
complains about no master boot record.

Now, the OS/2 fdisk can't recognize the left over space on the SCSI drive
so I can't reinstall it there.  I guess I start over and restore OS/2 from
tape.

Suggestions?  How should I partition the SCSI drive and in which partition
should I install Solaris?

Do I have to install on the IDE to make Solaris X86 work?  (OS/2 and
WinNT could both boot from extended partitions on the SCSI disk).

Do these "real" 32-bit UNIX OSs really work on Intel based notebooks???
(I have some but limited Solaris 2.4 SPARC experience with S20-612s.)

Thanks for any help,

Stuart Biggar

Post by Bruce Adler [Contracto » Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>Hello,

>I wish to install X86 on a 2.25 GB SCSI drive in an IBM Dock II which
>holds an IBM 755CX notebook (75MHz Pentium, 40 MB RAM, 1.2 GB
>internal IDE drive).  I have 3 partitions on the IDE drive (51 MB C for DOS,
>200 MB D for OS/2 Warp, and the rest on E for Warp Connect).  I wish
>to have 3 partitions on the SCSI drive (Warp Connect, Solaris 2.4 (or 2.5),
>and WinNT).  I had used Warp fdisk to put 3 extended partitions on the SCSI
>drive and installed Connect in one and NT in the other.  That worked without
>the SCSI BIOS translation for > 1GB drives turned on.  Solaris did NOT
>seem to recognize but a single partition.

Extended DOS partitions are in fact logical DOS partitions within a
single fdisk partition.  The Solaris fdisk program was showing what
actually appears in the fdisk partition table.  You can not install
Solaris into a DOS extended partition and you should not use Solaris
fdisk to setup and configure DOS and/or Windows primary or extended
partitions.  In order to install Solaris you either have to start out
with a chunk of free space on the disk drive (where free means really
free and not an unallocated portion of a DOS extended partition), or you
can upgrade or install ontop of an existing Solaris fdisk partition.
So you should have only allocated a portion of the SCSI disk using
Warp Connect and left a portion free which Solaris will grab if you
select the "allocate rest of disk to Solaris" option during the install.

Quote:>It complains about no master boot record.

I vaguely recall that there was a problem in 2.4 which sometimes caused
the MBR not to be written to a secondary disk if you don't create any
Solaris slices on the primary disk.  I don't remember the details.  You
should check with x86 Tech Support for what's the workaround.  Or if
you're lucky there might be some info in the x86 FAQ section on
access1.sun.com.

Quote:>Now, the OS/2 fdisk can't recognize the left over space on the SCSI drive
>so I can't reinstall it there.  I guess I start over and restore OS/2 from
>tape.

By default the Solaris install program allocates the whole drive to
Solaris.  If you let it default then you've lost whatever partitions were
there before.

Quote:>Suggestions?  How should I partition the SCSI drive and in which partition
>should I install Solaris?

Don't try to use some other fdisk program to pre-allocate a portion of
the disk for Solaris.  Leave part of the disk unallocated and tell the
Solaris install program to only allocate the free portion.

Quote:>Do I have to install on the IDE to make Solaris X86 work?  (OS/2 and
>WinNT could both boot from extended partitions on the SCSI disk).

Extended partitions are a DOSism.  Solaris only supports pcfs
filesystems within extended partitions.

BA