Cable Modem

Post by Betty L » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 01:46:10

Hi

I have put a cable modem on my solaris box. I can now FTP to my ISP
(Telstra) so it works a bit. The problem I have is at boot my ISP
changes my host name to unknown. I got a script from
http://www.rite-group.com/consulting/solaris_dhcp.html to change it
back which almost works perfect.

Everything works until it gets to the last line of booting which is
the snmp. It says it can't get IP address from my hostName. Every
thing else seems to be able to get it.

I'm running Solaris 8 on a x86 platform

I don't know much about this stuff so give it to me easy :)

Thanks

Cable Modem

Post by Rich Tee » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 05:53:23

Quote:> I have put a cable modem on my solaris box. I can now FTP to my ISP
> (Telstra) so it works a bit. The problem I have is at boot my ISP
> changes my host name to unknown. I got a script from
> http://www.rite-group.com/consulting/solaris_dhcp.html to change it
> back which almost works perfect.

I wrote that - I'm glad it's helpful.

Quote:> Everything works until it gets to the last line of booting which is
> the snmp. It says it can't get IP address from my hostName. Every
> thing else seems to be able to get it.

You probably aren't using your local sendmail, so you best course
of action is probably to do this as root:

        # cd /etc/rc2.d
        # mv S88sendmail s88sendmail
        # ./s88sendmail stop

That will stop sendmail, and prevent it from starting next time
you reboot.

HTH,

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Cable Modem

Post by Wim Bakke » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 06:46:04

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 20:53:23 GMT

> > I have put a cable modem on my solaris box. I can now FTP to my ISP
> > (Telstra) so it works a bit. The problem I have is at boot my ISP
> > changes my host name to unknown. I got a script from
> > http://www.rite-group.com/consulting/solaris_dhcp.html to change it
> > back which almost works perfect.

> I wrote that - I'm glad it's helpful.

> > Everything works until it gets to the last line of booting which is
> > the snmp. It says it can't get IP address from my hostName. Every
> > thing else seems to be able to get it.

> You probably aren't using your local sendmail, so you best course
> of action is probably to do this as root:

>    # cd /etc/rc2.d
>    # mv S88sendmail s88sendmail
>    # ./s88sendmail stop

> That will stop sendmail, and prevent it from starting next time
> you reboot.

Aha, so this means that all scripts in rc2.d will be executed also
allthough inittab says default runlevel 3. That's why I get
errors from cups that it can't bind to port because it allready
got started in rc2.d, and all the rest. This is different from irix and linux.

WB

Quote:> HTH,

> --
> Rich Teer

Cable Modem

Post by Greg Andre » Fri, 02 Aug 2002 07:29:30

>Aha, so this means that all scripts in rc2.d will be executed also
>allthough inittab says default runlevel 3. That's why I get
>errors from cups that it can't bind to port because it allready
>got started in rc2.d, and all the rest. This is different from irix and linux.

Yes, the "is:3:initdefault:" line in inittab says the default
run level is 3.

However, you didn't read the read of the file closely enough:

  s2:23:wait:/sbin/rc2  >/dev/msglog 2<>/dev/msglog </dev/console
  s3:3:wait:/sbin/rc3  >/dev/msglog 2<>/dev/msglog </dev/console

The /sbin/rc2 script (which executes the scripts in /etc/rc2.d)
is also invoked when entering run level 3, and the inittab file
lists it before the /sbin/rc3 script.

That means the scripts in /etc/rc2.d and the scripts in /etc/rc3.d
are invoked, in that order.

  -Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.

Cable Modem

Post by Wim Bakke » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 02:53:28

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 22:29:30 +0000 (UTC)

> >Aha, so this means that all scripts in rc2.d will be executed also
> >allthough inittab says default runlevel 3. That's why I get
> >errors from cups that it can't bind to port because it allready
> >got started in rc2.d, and all the rest. This is different from irix and linux.

> Yes, the "is:3:initdefault:" line in inittab says the default
> run level is 3.

> However, you didn't read the read of the file closely enough:

>   s2:23:wait:/sbin/rc2  >/dev/msglog 2<>/dev/msglog </dev/console
>   s3:3:wait:/sbin/rc3  >/dev/msglog 2<>/dev/msglog </dev/console

> The /sbin/rc2 script (which executes the scripts in /etc/rc2.d)
> is also invoked when entering run level 3, and the inittab file
> lists it before the /sbin/rc3 script.

> That means the scripts in /etc/rc2.d and the scripts in /etc/rc3.d
> are invoked, in that order.

Yes, thanx , I have to admit I didn't read the inittab at all, just
glanced at the initdefault line , I wondered where all the rest
of the scripts were started that were started at boot-up.
shame on me
Wim

Cable Modem

Post by Paul Dougl » Sun, 11 Aug 2002 23:11:03

>Hi

>I have put a cable modem on my solaris box. I can now FTP to my ISP
>(Telstra) so it works a bit. The problem I have is at boot my ISP
>changes my host name to unknown. I got a script from
>http://www.rite-group.com/consulting/solaris_dhcp.html to change it
>back which almost works perfect.

>Everything works until it gets to the last line of booting which is
>the snmp. It says it can't get IP address from my hostName. Every
>thing else seems to be able to get it.

Have a look, too, at the sendmail config info at
http://www.kempston.net/solaris/mail.html
which is very straightforward and makes setting up sendmail v easy (I
suppose you might want to use local sendmail if you have a permanently
connected setup).  The scripts only work with Solaris 8 up to about the
07/01 version - the supplied scripts change some time after that, and
Solaris 9 reverts to BSD sendmail (I think!), though not currently an
issue on x86 platform.  If you get this working, backup your sendmail
config scripts - applying the latest patch cluster installs the newer
version of sendmail.cf

Hope this is useful - I am by no means an expert but do have a Solaris
setup (sparc) working fine with cable modem, and it receives and sends
mail no problem.

Paul

1. Cable modem..56 modem dial up, 500K cable modem download stream...

I have 2 network cards and 1 modem in a Linux Box with RH6.
My cable modem uses the modem to start a PPP session, and the network card
is then hooked up to the VPN of the ISP.

I would like to setup a IP Masquraded Firewall to hook some of my other
boxes
behind the firewall.

I  cannot find a HOW-TO to setup the Linux box using this type of Cable
Modem.  I
have only found 2 way cable modems.  Can someone point me it the right
direction.

My problem is that I don't know how to get Linux connected, then also, how
do I configure
ipchains or ipfwadm to use the correct rule set.  Do I do the modem or the
network card.  The
network card has a static IP of 10.0.0.1 which is usally used for VPNs.  My
cable company
is of corse not supporting Linux, so I have to do it myself.  The PPP dialup
uses DHCP to
assign my address so I have dhcp setup.

Thanks in advance..

Aaron

2. Help! move to ELF, both Kernel and GCC

3. Cable Modem (COX @HOME), I NEED HELP SETTING UP MY CABLE MODEM WITH RH 5.1

4. glibc install on RH 5.0 (fear and doubt)

5. @Home Cable Modem and RedHat 6.0 -- no packets get past the cable modem at all!

6. arrow mailer and pgp v6

7. Cox Cable installing a cable modem

8. Cheap Bytes

9. Anyone using Cable TV Montgomery cable modems?

10. problem with nat in kernel-2.16.22 on cable modem (i-cable)

11. Yet another cable modem setup question :( (Philadelphia area Suburban Cable)

12. linux setup for cable modem service by Cable TV Montgomery/ExpressNet

13. power cable or tv cable modem