DiskSuite Striping

Post by Gregg Yurcha » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

 Hello,

We have never used DiskSuite here, but I feel it would help in several
of processes, so I'm trying to learn it by playing around and off of
docs.sun.com .

I was able to perform a concatenation of two partitions with no
problem, and mounted it successfully.  However, I'm having a problem
when I try to stripe two partitions together.

Here's the situation (Solaris 2.5.1 and DiskSuite 4.0).  I've got two
partitions at 200mb each, on two different disks.  I added the
following to /etc/opt/SUNWmd/md.tab:
     d2 1 2 /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s3 /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s3 -i 16K
 (I know that's the default, but it helps me to remember in case I ever
want anything different).

Then I did a metainit on d2.  Everything was fine.  However, when I
mount it, I get the following line in df -k
     Filesystem      kbytes  used        avail        capacity  MntPt
     /dev/md/dsk/d2  191983  3175650412  11194896777  1837836%  /foo

If I do an fstyp it comes up as UFS, same as the concatenation.

However, when I do a file, it comes up with:
     /foo     cannot read: I/O error
(the concatenation reports directory).

I cannot write in /foo, obviously.  Am I missing something here?

Thanks for any help you can give.  I really appreciate it.

By the way, I've seen in the past there's problems with DiskSuite 4.0,
but that's what came with my OS, so I believe that's what I'm stuck
with.

--
Gregg Yurchak
UNIX SysAd

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

DiskSuite Striping

Post by John Verlinde » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Gregg,
        Did you do a newfs on the striped metadevice?

John

>  Hello,

> We have never used DiskSuite here, but I feel it would help in several
> of processes, so I'm trying to learn it by playing around and off of
> docs.sun.com .

> I was able to perform a concatenation of two partitions with no
> problem, and mounted it successfully.  However, I'm having a problem
> when I try to stripe two partitions together.

> Here's the situation (Solaris 2.5.1 and DiskSuite 4.0).  I've got two
> partitions at 200mb each, on two different disks.  I added the
> following to /etc/opt/SUNWmd/md.tab:
>      d2 1 2 /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s3 /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s3 -i 16K
>  (I know that's the default, but it helps me to remember in case I ever
> want anything different).

> Then I did a metainit on d2.  Everything was fine.  However, when I
> mount it, I get the following line in df -k
>      Filesystem      kbytes  used        avail        capacity  MntPt
>      /dev/md/dsk/d2  191983  3175650412  11194896777  1837836%  /foo

> If I do an fstyp it comes up as UFS, same as the concatenation.

> However, when I do a file, it comes up with:
>      /foo     cannot read: I/O error
> (the concatenation reports directory).

> I cannot write in /foo, obviously.  Am I missing something here?

> Thanks for any help you can give.  I really appreciate it.

> By the way, I've seen in the past there's problems with DiskSuite 4.0,
> but that's what came with my OS, so I believe that's what I'm stuck
> with.

> --
> Gregg Yurchak
> UNIX SysAd
> (Always looking for a job in Biloxi)

DiskSuite Striping

Post by DW » Sat, 11 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Try 4.1, it does work with solaris 251, in fact i think it was shipped with
7/98 solaris251.  Also, try to use the graphical tool if you have x
capability (metatool) to set up your stripes and mirrors,, but learn the
command lines for admin.

Cheers

Dan

Quote:>By the way, I've seen in the past there's problems with DiskSuite 4.0,
>but that's what came with my OS, so I believe that's what I'm stuck
>with.

>--
>Gregg Yurchak
>UNIX SysAd
>(Always looking for a job in Biloxi)

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

DiskSuite Striping

Post by Gregg Yurcha » Sat, 11 Sep 1999 04:00:00

That was it exactly.  I'm glad it was obvious; I love playing the idiot.

Thanks again.

> Gregg,
>    Did you do a newfs on the striped metadevice?

> John

> >  Hello,

> > We have never used DiskSuite here, but I feel it would help in
several
> > of processes, so I'm trying to learn it by playing around and off of
> > docs.sun.com .

> > I was able to perform a concatenation of two partitions with no
> > problem, and mounted it successfully.  However, I'm having a problem
> > when I try to stripe two partitions together.

> > Here's the situation (Solaris 2.5.1 and DiskSuite 4.0).  I've got
two
> > partitions at 200mb each, on two different disks.  I added the
> > following to /etc/opt/SUNWmd/md.tab:
> >      d2 1 2 /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s3 /dev/dsk/c0t2d0s3 -i 16K
> >  (I know that's the default, but it helps me to remember in case I
ever
> > want anything different).

> > Then I did a metainit on d2.  Everything was fine.  However, when I
> > mount it, I get the following line in df -k
> >      Filesystem      kbytes  used        avail        capacity
MntPt
> >      /dev/md/dsk/d2  191983  3175650412  11194896777  1837836%  /foo

> > If I do an fstyp it comes up as UFS, same as the concatenation.

> > However, when I do a file, it comes up with:
> >      /foo     cannot read: I/O error
> > (the concatenation reports directory).

> > I cannot write in /foo, obviously.  Am I missing something here?

> > Thanks for any help you can give.  I really appreciate it.

> > By the way, I've seen in the past there's problems with DiskSuite
4.0,
> > but that's what came with my OS, so I believe that's what I'm stuck
> > with.

> > --
> > Gregg Yurchak
> > UNIX SysAd
> > (Always looking for a job in Biloxi)

Gregg Yurchak
UNIX SysAd

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. DiskSuite stripe or concat

Hello,

I would like to create a partition which contains two physical slices of
two different disks, so my choice is either to do a stripe or either to
do a concat. The problem is that these two slices are not the same size
and I just read that for stripping the slices have to be the same size
or I will loose space, is that right ? Any opinions about striping or
should I go for concat ?

Regards

2. LYNX Browser for Linux

3. disksuite striping

4. linux server

5. Solstice DiskSuite and Striping Parameters

6. pppd: Problems with blocking /dev/ttyd1 / cuaa1

7. DiskSuite - 1 stripe bad, others okay

8. 256 colors on laptop X

9. Disksuite and striping over partitions (not disks)

10. Moving DiskSuite 4.0 stripe between controllers

11. increase size of mirrored stripe - disksuite

12. Solstice Disksuite Concat vs. Stripe

13. simple [DiskSuite] question , Difference between Stripe and concat ?