bootblk: can't find the boot program

Post by Joh » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I'm playing around with 5.7 on an old SPARC IPX and decided to replace
the hard drive (1gig) with a 4-gigger.  I reinstalled from scratch and
set up everythng pretty much the same.  But on rebooting to the hd, I
get a "bootblk: can't find the boot program" error.  One thing was
changed: the original drive had an id of 3 and the new one has an id
of 0.  What's the easiest way to get this working w/o changing the hd
scsi id?

Post by Martin Pau » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I'm playing around with 5.7 on an old SPARC IPX and decided to replace
> the hard drive (1gig) with a 4-gigger.  I reinstalled from scratch and
> set up everythng pretty much the same.  But on rebooting to the hd, I
> get a "bootblk: can't find the boot program" error.

The root partition must not be larger than 1 GB on machines with
old BootPROMs.

Quote:> One thing was
> changed: the original drive had an id of 3 and the new one has an id
> of 0.  What's the easiest way to get this working w/o changing the hd
> scsi id?

I think the installation process usually sets the boot-device
accordingly, so this should not be a problem.

hth, mp.
--
                         Martin Paul | Systems Administrator

                and Parallel Systems | Tel: 01-3105608-84
Liechtensteinstrasse 22, A-1090 Wien | Fax: 01-3105608-88

Post by Ralf Wiegan » Sun, 19 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> > I'm playing around with 5.7 on an old SPARC IPX and decided to replace
> > the hard drive (1gig) with a 4-gigger.  I reinstalled from scratch and
> > set up everythng pretty much the same.  But on rebooting to the hd, I
> > get a "bootblk: can't find the boot program" error.

> The root partition must not be larger than 1 GB on machines with
> old BootPROMs.

I could be wrong, but a 4GB internal disk drive in an IPX is not a supported
configuration.  Yes, BootPROM and Power issues are valid problems.  If you
need an external PEB ($25 - $150 plus shipping) e-mail me at

you.

Quote:

> > One thing was
> > changed: the original drive had an id of 3 and the new one has an id
> > of 0.  What's the easiest way to get this working w/o changing the hd
> > scsi id?

> I think the installation process usually sets the boot-device
> accordingly, so this should not be a problem.

At the OK prompt:
OK>  printenv
OK> setenv boot-device disk#
where "#" is the logical target disk number (disk0, disk1, etc...)
OK> reset

or

OK> boot disk0

> hth, mp.
> --
>                          Martin Paul | Systems Administrator

>                 and Parallel Systems | Tel: 01-3105608-84
> Liechtensteinstrasse 22, A-1090 Wien | Fax: 01-3105608-88

Ralf Wiegand
TCS, Albany New York

1. bootblk can't find the boot program after reboot during install

Hi all,

The exact message is below,

    bootblk can't find the boot program
    program terminated

More detailed information below,

   I tried to install Solaris 2.7 on an IPX box, with a 2 GB 50 pins SCSI
seagate harddrive got from an old PC.

I got the above message the first time. However, with the combination of
'format' & 'installboot', one of my co-workers actually got it to work with
default setup even though he did not exactly know what make it work.

However, because I do not like the default setting that separate the whole
disk into several partitions, I decide to do re-install. We never got it to
work again.

Any idea to solve the problem that have me scratch my head for the past week
?

Jack Cheng
(DCE Support)

2. Boot stops at LIL- on multiboot system

3. bootblk: can't find the boot program

4. Licensing problem

5. bootblk: can't find the boot program.

6. An end to legacy hardware?

7. bootblk: can't find the boot program

8. Beginner Question ! Fail to setup X Windows !

9. Geting errors when booting, Can't find this, can't find that.

10. Bootblock can't find boot program

11. SS20 + Solaris 8 = bootblk not found

12. It's not bad canned meat...