Need suggestions for passwd map when sharing NIS maps in multiple domains.

Need suggestions for passwd map when sharing NIS maps in multiple domains.

Post by Eric M. Boe » Tue, 23 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have a need to create some NIS maps and modify other existing
maps. Unfortunately, political realities prevent me from modifying/adding to
the current NIS infrastructure. However, I do have the ability to create an
entirely new domain.

What I would like to do is be a slave server with respect to the all maps
except automount and netgroup maps.

The question is: How do I pass back passwd changes? I don't have super-user
remote execution ability on the NIS master. I think I am out of luck but I am
hoping someone else has had to deal with this and might have some ideas that I
can use.

Thanks in advance,

--
Eric Boehm
--

1. NIS -- maps from multiple domains

I run a small cluster of heterogeneous UNIX workstations in a University
research group.  I want to set up our machines to use NIS and amd for
mounting remote partitions.  Our department runs a NIS domain, but the
research group maintains its own password file and mount lists.

I would like to be able to run my own NIS server (to dsitribute our
password map and mount point map), but also to access the department NIS
domain to use their mount point maps.  What I would really like to do is
to make my NIS domain include all of the maps of the department domain,
but also extend those maps by adding my own entries to them.

Is there any sort of standard way to set up NIS to use multiple
domains?  Or to migrate maps from one domain into another in such as way
that those maps get updated automatically?

Thanks for any ideas,

Oliver

2. TESTING(IGNORE)

3. Why doesn't passwd/yppasswd update NIS passwd maps?

4. Display Prob (is it a font prob or not?)

5. NIS+ NIS compatibility mode and the 'passwd' map

6. gvim is not giving to create new(fresh) file.

7. Problems with passwd map in NIS (or YP), Need help/advice?

8. Windows 95 and ISC dhcp beta 5.14 server problem

9. can NIS and NIS+ share maps?

10. Rhat6.0, Flowpoint2200 router, 2 public IP address, 2 Domain Names, Flowpoint 2200 mapping, DNS mapping

11. amd and NIS maps: No source data for map amd.home

12. Help, NIS passwd map not working

13. changing passwd on NIS server updates /etc/shadow only and not shadow.byname map