where to find gnu tools like find and grep on Solaris?

where to find gnu tools like find and grep on Solaris?

Post by linq.. » Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:20:41

Hi,
  Do you know where I can download pre-compiled GNU version tools like
grep, find and sed on Solaris?

  I have some BASH script all were written according to GNU tool
command options.

  If the pre-compiled version is hard to find, do you know where I can
download the source?

Thanks.

where to find gnu tools like find and grep on Solaris?

Quote:> Hi,

http://www.sunfreeware.com/

Post by Keith Thompso » Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:24:07

>   Do you know where I can download pre-compiled GNU version tools like
> grep, find and sed on Solaris?

>   I have some BASH script all were written according to GNU tool
> command options.

>   If the pre-compiled version is hard to find, do you know where I can
> download the source?

Sources are at <ftp://ftp.gnu.org/>.

--

San Diego Supercomputer Center             <*>  <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
We must do something.  This is something.  Therefore, we must do this.

Post by mein » Tue, 28 Feb 2006 14:47:21

> > Hi,
> >  Do you know where I can download pre-compiled GNU version tools like
> > grep, find and sed on Solaris?

> >  I have some BASH script all were written according to GNU tool
> > command options.

> >  If the pre-compiled version is hard to find, do you know where I can
> > download the source?

> > Thanks.

> http://www.sunfreeware.com/

The very first thing you should do when you get to that site is click on
the "mirrors" link on the left side of the screen, and then pick one of
the fast mirrors.

Because the main site is slooooooooow most of the time.

Post by Chris Rid » Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:18:25

>> Hi,
>>   Do you know where I can download pre-compiled GNU version tools like
>> grep, find and sed on Solaris?

> You can download them from Blastwave.org.

Also look in /usr/sfw and /opt/sfw, as Sun installs GNU versions of some
things in there.

Cheers,

Chris