root user can not create folder under /usr/local

root user can not create folder under /usr/local

Post by Liang Junmi » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:31:54

hi, everybody

I download smaba package and want to install it on solaris 8. I login
as root user. but the installation failed saying that can not creating
folder under /usr/local.

furtherly, I even can not manually mkdir under /usr/local.

any comment is appreciated.

regards

kevin

Post by Andrew Muell » Thu, 13 Dec 2001 03:33:25

> hi, everybody

> I download smaba package and want to install it on solaris 8. I login
> as root user. but the installation failed saying that can not creating
> folder under /usr/local.
> furtherly, I even can not manually mkdir under /usr/local.
> any comment is appreciated.

Is /usr mounted ro from another server ?

-Andy M
http://synecdoche.net/~andy

Post by r.. » Fri, 14 Dec 2001 18:33:45

> > hi, everybody

> > I download smaba package and want to install it on solaris 8. I login
> > as root user. but the installation failed saying that can not creating
> > folder under /usr/local.
> > furtherly, I even can not manually mkdir under /usr/local.
> > any comment is appreciated.

> Is /usr mounted ro from another server ?

> -Andy M
> http://synecdoche.net/~andy

To see if it's mounted and client options used try: mount -p

If it's mounted, in addition to the client mount option ro, also the NFS
server normally can configure which client hosts are eligible for rw as
well as which client host's root user are respected.

root user can not create folder under /usr/local

Post by bit-buc.. » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 07:28:27

:> hi, everybody
:>
:> I download smaba package and want to install it on solaris 8. I login
:> as root user. but the installation failed saying that can not creating
:> folder under /usr/local.
:> furtherly, I even can not manually mkdir under /usr/local.
:> any comment is appreciated.

: Is /usr mounted ro from another server ?

That is highly unlikely given that /usr is required for many of the
daemons in multi-user mode (run-level 3 == multi-user+nfs).

It is possible, though it would be rather asinine if true, that
/usr/local is NFS mounted. What is more likely is that /usr or
/usr/local is mounted locally as read-only.

fpsm
--
| Fredrich P. Maney              my_last_name AT my_last_name DOT org |
|   Do NOT send me HTML formatted E-mail or copies of netnews posts!  |

1. Cyrus IMAPd can't create folders in root of users mailbox

Using cyradm or an IMAP client i can't add a folder into the root of a users
mailbox, and the only folder that exists is INBOX (\HasNoChildren) if i
create a mailbox using the user cyrus or as the user in question i get
user.username.INBOX.foldericreate i need to have a set of basic folders
(sent items, drafts etc...) but i can't seem to add them, any suggestions
any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. RH 8.0, Netatalk 1.5.3.1-4, setup appleshare problem

3. Pine: Folder Lock/Read Only for "users" (not root)

4. BAD PBR Sig ???????????

5. Tell "configure" to use /usr/local/lib/sparcv9/ instead of /usr/local/lib/

6. Telnet problems

7. ln /usr/local /newDrive/usr/local ?

8. How to connect to the Internet??

9. how do i build gnu apps in /usr not in /usr/local

10. /usr/bin/ls /usr/ucb/ls /usr/local/bin/ls

11. Creating new users not-using root

12. Can't create users if not root?

13. How can I create a "Public" folder to users in Samba Server?