vncserver problem w/ Solaris 7

Post by Chris He » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I'm getting the following error running vncserver under Solaris 7
as a non-root user:

_XSERVTransSocketCreateListener: failed to bind listener
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for local

Fatal server error:
Failed to establish all listening sockets
xrdb: Interrupted system call
xrdb: Can't open display 'sparc2:1'
xsetroot:  unable to open display 'sparc2:1'
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: sparc2:1

It works when I run su to root before starting vncserver.
Under Slackware Linux I get no errors starting as root or non-root user.

Any suggestions?

vncserver problem w/ Solaris 7

Post by Chris He » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>I'm getting the following error running vncserver under Solaris 7
>as a non-root user:

>_XSERVTransSocketCreateListener: failed to bind listener
>_XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
>_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for local

>Fatal server error:
>Failed to establish all listening sockets
>xrdb: Interrupted system call
>xrdb: Can't open display 'sparc2:1'
>xsetroot:  unable to open display 'sparc2:1'
>xterm Xt error: Can't open display: sparc2:1

>It works when I run su to root before starting vncserver.
>Under Slackware Linux I get no errors starting as root or non-root user.

>Any suggestions?

Sorry, forgot to RTFM - from the VNC FAQ:

Q11: I get errors like "failed to bind listener" and "Failed to establish
 all listening sockets" in the log file.
This is probably due to the permissions on /tmp/.X11-unix. You may
well see this if you update to Solaris 2.7 or Redhat 6.0, for example.
See the section below entitled "Why can I only run vncserver/Xvnc as root?".

Q20: Why can I only run vncserver/Xvnc as root?
The most likely reason for this is that Xvnc can't create the unix domain
socket
(the path for this unix domain socket is usually /tmp/.X11-unix/Xn). Try
making
sure that users can write to this directory by making it world-writable,
i.e.
"chmod a+w /tmp/.X11-unix". Note that to avoid a security loophole the
"sticky bit"
should also be set on the directory by doing "chmod o+t /tmp/.X11-unix".
If you don't do this then someone else logged in to the same machine may be
able to intercept the X protocol and thereby access your desktop and snoop
on
it, etc. An alternative is to set the Xvnc binary to have the same
permissions as
your normal X server, but this may be more of a security risk.

vncserver problem w/ Solaris 7

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>"chmod a+w /tmp/.X11-unix". Note that to avoid a security loophole the
>"sticky bit"

This is just plain wrong; setting the sticky bit will often not avoid the
security hole and even make a denial of service attack on other users possible.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. VNC, Solaris 9 ./vncserver: not found

Dear All,

I'm trying to get vnc running on a solaris 9 E450. I have no local
graphics card on the machine, just the normal serial connection. I
have telnet access for my normal admin stuff. One of the apps we need
to run requires a GUI so I'd like to get vnc running so my user can
connect and do their gui stuff.
I've gone through the lists/faqs and it looks like the basic
install/test should just be a matter of untarring and running a script
that just drops the files into usr/bin. All done, looks ok but when I
try to run it I get:

# ./vncserver
./vncserver: not found
Here are my ls outputs
# ls vncserver
vncserver
# ls vnc*
vncconnect  vncpasswd   vncserver   vncviewer

vnc1:
vnc-3.3.7-sparc_solaris_2.5
vnc-3.3.7-sparc_solaris_2.5.tar
#

Any ideas? Solaris is pretty new to me and this don't be making any
sense to my simple brain...

Cheers!

2. Slackware Distribution: Which disk sets are the /usr/local/bin(aries) located on?

3. vncserver problems

4. gcc -fstrength-reduce generates wrong code

5. vncserver problem

6. dhcpd

7. RH8 and VNCServer Problems

8. Loaded Question.

9. vncserver configuration problems

10. vncserver connection problem

11. vncserver settings

12. vncserver on a linux box and vnc viewer on a windows os question?

13. VNCSERVER on redhat 7.2 and VNC VIEWER on a windows os question?