mixed-architecture Jumpstart

Post by K.L. Oppenhei » Thu, 08 Dec 2005 12:05:05

Before I spend a lot of time, maybe somebody can confirm?

A Google search of comp.unix.solaris seems to indicate that
Solaris 9 and Solaris 10 do not support a Jumpstart operation
between mixed processor architectures from a CD-ROM install
kit.  (Ie., from an X86 server to a SPARC client, or vice
versa.)  This is because the UFS slice of the CD-ROM with
the miniroot is little or big-endian, for X86 or SPARC,
respectivly.

Do any common workarounds exist that I didn't find, or is
this antifeature just a fact of life?

Thanks.
--
K.L.

Post by Dan Foste » Thu, 08 Dec 2005 13:07:24

> Before I spend a lot of time, maybe somebody can confirm?

> A Google search of comp.unix.solaris seems to indicate that
> Solaris 9 and Solaris 10 do not support a Jumpstart operation
> between mixed processor architectures from a CD-ROM install

They *do* support it. I have a Sol10/SPARC jumpstart server installing
both SPARC and x86 clients, and originally set up by both sparc and x86
CDROM kits. Works great.

Quote:> kit.  (Ie., from an X86 server to a SPARC client, or vice
> versa.)  This is because the UFS slice of the CD-ROM with
> the miniroot is little or big-endian, for X86 or SPARC,
> respectivly.

> Do any common workarounds exist that I didn't find, or is
> this antifeature just a fact of life?

Yes, there is indeed a workaround for it... I think it's mentioned in
the official jumpstart docs at Sun somewhere (probably docs.sun.com in
one of the admin guides?).

Basically, you have to mount CD #1 for Solaris/x86 on a sol/x86 box,
then NFS mount the Solaris/sparc box, and run the script. I'm guessing
you could do similar for a sparc client to a x86 server?

It's a bit of a hassle for the very first time you have to set up the
miniroot, granted, but no big deal, and doesn't take long.

-Dan

Post by Mike » Thu, 08 Dec 2005 15:49:35

> Before I spend a lot of time, maybe somebody can confirm?

> A Google search of comp.unix.solaris seems to indicate that
> Solaris 9 and Solaris 10 do not support a Jumpstart operation
> between mixed processor architectures from a CD-ROM install
> kit.  (Ie., from an X86 server to a SPARC client, or vice
> versa.)  This is because the UFS slice of the CD-ROM with
> the miniroot is little or big-endian, for X86 or SPARC,
> respectivly.

> Do any common workarounds exist that I didn't find, or is
> this antifeature just a fact of life?

Burn a DVD.  That should get you around the problem.  I believe it's
specific only to CD's.  If all you can do is a CD then nfs export
the CD from a x86 workstation.

I have Sol8 & Sol10 sparc jumpstart servers jumpstarting:

        solaris 8 sparc
        solaris 9 x86 & sparc
        solaris 10 x86 & sparc

It's all good!

-Mike

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:06:05

>A Google search of comp.unix.solaris seems to indicate that
>Solaris 9 and Solaris 10 do not support a Jumpstart operation
>between mixed processor architectures from a CD-ROM install
>kit.  (Ie., from an X86 server to a SPARC client, or vice
>versa.)  This is because the UFS slice of the CD-ROM with
>the miniroot is little or big-endian, for X86 or SPARC,
>respectivly.

Cross architecture jumpstart *is* supported and I do it
all the time.  However, unpacking the CDs is *not* possible
on the other architecture.

I believe that if you have the DVD then there's no UFS
slice and the issue does not arise.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. Mixing shared libs for different architectures

I'm trying to use a shared library that has been compiled for the v8+
architecture and the UltraSPARC processor in an application that is
compiled for generic Sparc architectures:

  $ uname -a
  SunOS orion 5.6 Generic_105181-05 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
  $ cc -V
  cc: WorkShop Compilers 4.2 30 Oct 1996 C 4.2
  $ cc -c vis.il -xchip=ultra -xarch=v8plusa vis.c
  $ cc -G vis.o -o vis.so
  $ cc -c vistest.c
  $ cc vistest.o vis.so -o vistest
  $ file vistest
  vistest:        ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically \
  linked, not stripped
  $ file vis.so
  vis.so:         ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARC32PLUS Version 1, V8+ \
  Required, UltraSPARC1 Extensions Required, dynamically linked, not stripped

When I run this code on an Ultra 10, I get the following runtime error:

  $ ./vistest
  ./vistest: Exec format error. Wrong Architecture.

Why does run-time linker refuse to link the SPARC32PLUS library?
The only way I can get the code to execute, is to compile all other object
files and libraries that are linked in the application for SPARC32PLUS V8+
too (which I'd rather not do).

                             "Most people would rather die than think.
                              ...In fact, they do." --Bertrand Russell

2. Places to get Linux CDs

3. Jumpstart architecture

4. Interesting problem with Mandrake booting

5. What are difference between Monolithic kernel architecture & Microkernel architecture

6. pppd/dip/seyon run slow, and I can't log in

7. Jumpstart x86: How not to PXE after jumpstart finishes and reboots ...

8. Still getting squares instead of fonts on xmcd display

9. Jumpstart 2.5.1 Client from a 2.6 Jumpstart Server

10. Jumpstart not jumpstarting a Sparcstation2

11. add support for PC-9800 architecture (sound oss #2)

12. ANNOUNCE: Linux New Media Architecture (JAVA/TCL/GROW/WWW/ETC)

13. RS/6000 AIX3.2 architecture switch