Trouble adding Quantum Grand Prix to Sparc 20 under Sol 2.3

Trouble adding Quantum Grand Prix to Sparc 20 under Sol 2.3

Post by Bruce R Lars » Tue, 28 Mar 1995 21:40:51

Gentlemen,

I am trying to add an external 2.1GB Quantum Grand Prix SCSI-3
(not wide, not wide differential) hard drive to a Sparc 20
running Solaris 2.3.  This drive is recognized but not accepted
upon bootup.  The boot sequence error when this drive is
encountered is

        corrupt label - wrong magic number

Has anyone seen this problem before?

Some particulars are:
[ ] the Sparc has only one SCSI bus
[ ] there are two internal hard drives, with target IDs one (1)
    and three (3)
[ ] there is an internal CD-ROM, with target ID six (6)
[ ] there is no format.dat entry for the Quantum Grand Prix,
    but I don't see how that could affect us at boot time.
[ ] existing internal drives are wide differential SCSI, while
    the one I am trying to add externally is a plain-old SCSI-3
    drive.

All constructive thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you,

Bruce
--
Bruce R Larson

Trouble adding Quantum Grand Prix to Sparc 20 under Sol 2.3

Post by Michael Hueh » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 04:00:00

Bruce> Gentlemen, I am trying to add an external 2.1GB Quantum Grand
Bruce>       corrupt label - wrong magic number

Bruce> Has anyone seen this problem before?

Yes :-) Check out the format utility . This schould help.
--

 Friendly regards,
 mit freundlichen Gr?en,

   Michael Hhne

     3-S GmbH

     |... My first unix was ...... //// ..... a Microsoft Xenix 86 ...|
     |... Why does Microsoft ... 0(o o)0 ... proclaim a WINDOWS-NT ...|
     *-------- Michael -------oOO--(_)--OOo---------- Hhne ----------*
              CPU Cycles - Use them now or lose them forever

 #include <disclaimer.h>

1. Quantum Grand Prix/sectors 63 limit in fdisk

I've got a 4.3G Quantum Grand Prix xp34301 that I'm trying to use with
a Linux box. It has:

        2       heads
        4066    cylinders
        118     sectors/cylinder

I understand that I should be able to specify any random geometry
such that

        heads * cylinders * sectors * 512 < size of my drive

however, when I specify a value of sectors less than 63, I can't access all 4G of the disk.

If you know the hoops that I need to go through in order to use
all 4G of a Quantum Grand Prix under Linux, I'd appreciate hearing
from you.

Also, if anyone knows why there is a limit of 63 sectors/cylinder in
fdisk under Linux, I'd be interested in hearing an explanation of that.

Thanks,

Ron

--

<A HREF="http://www.nmia.com/~tapia/">My home page</A>

2. How to identify some file's owner and date

3. Sol 2.3 to Sol 2.3 5/94 UPGRADE ?

4. HELP: masq as one e-mail address for remote mail

5. Locked out of a Sparc 20 running Solaris 2.3

6. mod_vhost_alias trick for internal resolution

7. Compiling c-news under Solaris 2.3 on SPARC 20

8. Apache 2 and digest auth

9. 2.4 x86 ufs floppy unreadable by 2.3 SPARC 20

10. blank screen on solaris 2.3 sparc 20 kernel crash - can't use kadb

11. Sol 2.3 and Quantum Empire Disk

12. Sparc 20 floppy won't work under Sol 8

13. Connecting Sparc 20 (Sol. 8) to Windows XP