/var has unexpected inconsistency , ERROR

/var has unexpected inconsistency , ERROR

Post by Asif » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 00:50:58

Hi all ,

Here unexpectedly i got one problem here .

I have Sun Enterprise Server 450, with Solaris 8.

It has our total Intranet Project data in /home, due to some power
fluctuations, its restarted automatically .

And now when i am trying to see /var, it has no files.
And i connected my laptop to serial console, and when i see this i got
like /var as unexpected inconsistency, run fsck manually.

So i did the fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s3 , and it took mcuh time and its
keep asking to adjust? and at last i got 1.3 % fragmentation.

and i type exit to boot normally and the at that console i loggedin as
a root and i tryied to see the files in /var. Still i can't

Can u guys pls help me , its very urgent .

While i am doing fsck , its asking like

BAD INODE NUMBER FOR '..' I=24898 OWNER=apache MODE=40755
SIZE=512 MTIME= Nov 12 16:05 2002

DIR=/last+found/#0024898

FIX ?

** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
**Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts

LINK COUNT DIR I=24898 OWNER=apache MODE=40755
SIZE=512 MTIME= Nov 12 16:05 2002 COUNT 0 SHOULD BE 2
ADJUST ?

UNREF DIRECTORY I=89692 OWNER=xxx MODE=40755
SIZE=512 MTIME=Dec 11 09:31 2002

its giving with like different Inodes ....

** PHASE 5

FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK SALVAGE ?

1.3 fragmentation

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem

Thank You

Asif
212 269 1890 Ext 217

Post by Adam Rheaum » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 01:02:36

> Hi all ,

> Here unexpectedly i got one problem here .

> I have Sun Enterprise Server 450, with Solaris 8.

> It has our total Intranet Project data in /home, due to some power
> fluctuations, its restarted automatically .

> And now when i am trying to see /var, it has no files.
> And i connected my laptop to serial console, and when i see this i got
> like /var as unexpected inconsistency, run fsck manually.

> So i did the fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s3 , and it took mcuh time and its
> keep asking to adjust? and at last i got 1.3 % fragmentation.

> and i type exit to boot normally and the at that console i loggedin as
> a root and i tryied to see the files in /var. Still i can't

> Can u guys pls help me , its very urgent .

> While i am doing fsck , its asking like

> BAD INODE NUMBER FOR '..' I=24898 OWNER=apache MODE=40755
> SIZE=512 MTIME= Nov 12 16:05 2002

> DIR=/last+found/#0024898

> FIX ?

> ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
> **Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts

> LINK COUNT DIR I=24898 OWNER=apache MODE=40755
> SIZE=512 MTIME= Nov 12 16:05 2002 COUNT 0 SHOULD BE 2
> ADJUST ?

> UNREF DIRECTORY I=89692 OWNER=xxx MODE=40755
> SIZE=512 MTIME=Dec 11 09:31 2002

> its giving with like different Inodes ....

> ** PHASE 5

> FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK SALVAGE ?

> 1.3 fragmentation

> Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem

> Thank You

> Asif
> 212 269 1890 Ext 217

Do a fsck -Y /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s3 that will do a yes to all errors see if
that helps your situation.

-=>Adam<=-

/var has unexpected inconsistency , ERROR

Post by Ange » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 01:08:04

Quote:

> Do a fsck -Y /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s3 that will do a yes to all errors see if
> that helps your situation.

> -=>Adam<=-

and once fsck can pass through cleanly if you still aren't seeing the
files you want it might be easier to simply restore them.

Of course if you aren't seeing any entries whatsoever then check you
actually have /var mounted.

Angel

Post by David Walli » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 03:27:17

> > Do a fsck -Y /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s3 that will do a yes to all errors see if
> > that helps your situation.

> > -=>Adam<=-

> and once fsck can pass through cleanly if you still aren't seeing the
> files you want it might be easier to simply restore them.

> Of course if you aren't seeing any entries whatsoever then check you
> actually have /var mounted.

> Angel

I generally run 'fsck -y' until it finishes with no errors
found. Sometimes one error will mask another, and requires an
additional pass to be completely cleaned up.

After completing the fsck, while still in single-user mode, try
manually mounting the /var filesystem and see if it completes
successfully or generates an error. If it mounts ok, check the
contents. If the files still are  not there, you'll need to restore
the filesystem from backup.

--
David Wallis

Post by Nicole Harv » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 04:47:05

> > Hi all ,

> > Here unexpectedly i got one problem here .

> > I have Sun Enterprise Server 450, with Solaris 8.

> > It has our total Intranet Project data in /home, due to some power
> > fluctuations, its restarted automatically .

> > And now when i am trying to see /var, it has no files.
> > And i connected my laptop to serial console, and when i see this i got
> > like /var as unexpected inconsistency, run fsck manually.

> > So i did the fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s3 , and it took mcuh time and its
> > keep asking to adjust? and at last i got 1.3 % fragmentation.

> > and i type exit to boot normally and the at that console i loggedin as
> > a root and i tryied to see the files in /var. Still i can't

> > Can u guys pls help me , its very urgent .

> > While i am doing fsck , its asking like

> > BAD INODE NUMBER FOR '..' I=24898 OWNER=apache MODE=40755
> > SIZE=512 MTIME= Nov 12 16:05 2002

> > DIR=/last+found/#0024898

> > FIX ?

> > ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
> > **Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts

> > LINK COUNT DIR I=24898 OWNER=apache MODE=40755
> > SIZE=512 MTIME= Nov 12 16:05 2002 COUNT 0 SHOULD BE 2
> > ADJUST ?

> > UNREF DIRECTORY I=89692 OWNER=xxx MODE=40755
> > SIZE=512 MTIME=Dec 11 09:31 2002

> > its giving with like different Inodes ....

> > ** PHASE 5

> > FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK SALVAGE ?

> > 1.3 fragmentation

> > Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem

> > Thank You

> > Asif
> > 212 269 1890 Ext 217

> Do a fsck -Y /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s3 that will do a yes to all errors see if
> that helps your situation.

> -=>Adam<=-

Yeah fsck -Y would apply an answer of yes to every error. Other wise
it will keep on asking everything. Dont you have an UPS for your E
450? Hope there is a back up if you dont get it back.

Post by Andreas Borche » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 04:53:34

> And now when i am trying to see /var, it has no files.
> And i connected my laptop to serial console, and when i see this i got
> like /var as unexpected inconsistency, run fsck manually.

Use the logging option for /var and possibly other filesystems.  This
avoids this problem in the future. From my own experience I have the
impression that since Solaris 7 it is pretty unlikely that /var without
logging switched on survives without inconsistencies when /var was
not properly unmounted before. I have seen workstation pools running
Solaris 8 after a powerdown during a thunderstorm. Nearly all of them
had a white screen complaining about /var afterwards.  Less than 10%
of the machines came up without the necessity of a manual interventiion.

Andreas.

--
Dr. Andreas F. Borchert, SAI, Universitaet Ulm | One should make everything
http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/sai/borchert/ | as simple as possible, but

/var has unexpected inconsistency , ERROR

Post by Asif » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 23:25:49

Thank You Guys, I followed the steps, and i got it.

Earlier i was doing like , fsck /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s3
and when its asking , i was just pressing enter key and at last its
not comming up , I  thought if we press enter this will take as a
"YES"

But i don't  know , abt this much .

Any how i got the DATA.

Thanks again.

Asif
212 269 1890 Ext 217

1. unexpected inconsistency, run fsck manually

Hello,

I am in trouble, redhat 7.1 has just crashed and after a reboot:

here is what happens:

/home: Duplicate/bad blocks in inode 150220 : /home : 298360/home
/home: Duplicate/bad blocks in inode 151371 : /home : 298360/home

/home: Pass 1C: Scan directories for inodes with dup blocks
/home: Pass 1D: reconciling duplicate blocks
/home: (There are 2 inodes containing duplicate/bad blocks)

/home: File ..... (inode #151371, mod time Tue Aug 14 17:32:57 2001) has 1
duplicate block(s), shared with 1 file
/home: /abbondat/.gnome/panel.d/default/Applet_8_Extern (inode#150220), mode
time Tue Aug 14 17:32:16 20001

/home: unexpected inconsistency; Rune fsck manually

how can I repair this by hand?

I wouldn't like to reinstall, I have too maby progs on my system...

thanks by advance for your help.
Fred.

2. Bug in Sun compiler WS6U2? - Crashes during compile phase with -fast.

3. Cannot boot - UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY...

4. What is the supliment of MKDEV

5. unexpected inconsistency

6. twisted pair redhat 6 ftp install

7. unexpected inconsistency @#%!&!!

8. New or Revised TAs on websco, 961204

9. HELP: FILE SYSTEM(s) HAD UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY

10. /: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY

11. unexpected inconsistency, run fsck manually

12. Unexpected Inconsistency

13. UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY- howto repair ext2