Newbie question on configuring a printer

Newbie question on configuring a printer

Post by Elio Buonvi » Thu, 05 Dec 2002 23:27:24

Hi all,
  I need to configure a printer under Solaris 2.6 on a Ultra10. What should I do?

  Thanks

Newbie question on configuring a printer

Post by simon horn » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 00:19:16

Two methods for you...

log in as root...

$>admintool
    select Browse -> printers
A list of the installed printers will be shown
You will see a list of installed printers information ( Printer Name, the Server and
the Descripttion of the Printer ie: the common name )
Clicking on the Printer Name will bring up a box containing the printer details -
this can only be viewed as root.

Adding a printer is as follows
    Edit -> Add -> Access to printer
A dialog box will appear
Fill in the printers details
Click "OK" - the printer will be added.
Quit the above sceeen by selecting "Cancel"

OR

The /etc/printers.conf file contains details of the printers installed on the
machine.
    It will need to be modified thus:-
From...

<printername>:\
    :bsdaddr=<printerservername>,,printername>:\
    :description=<printername>:
_default:\
    :use=<printername>:

Hope this helps

Simon

> Hi all,
>   I need to configure a printer under Solaris 2.6 on a Ultra10. What should I do?

>   Thanks

Newbie question on configuring a printer

Post by simon horn » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 00:23:58

Having a bit of a day - put a typo in one line please see this version

The /etc/printers.conf file contains details of the printers installed on the
machine.
    It will need to be modified thus:-
From...

<printername>:\
    :bsdaddr=<printerservername>,<printername>:\
    :description=<printername>:
_default:\

Simon

Post by Greg Andre » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 03:29:28

>Hi all,
>  I need to configure a printer under Solaris 2.6 on a Ultra10. What
>should I do?

Depends on the make/model printer, and whether the printer is connected
to your Ultra 10's parallel port, or the printer is connected directly
to the network with an internal network card, or the printer is connected
to the network through an external print server box, or the printer is
accessed through another computer that's acting as a print server.

If the printer's connected through an external print server box, also
include the make/model of that print server box.

This sounds complex, but it's not.  There are just slight differences
in the setup commands depending on what kind of access your computer
has to the printer.

  -Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.

Post by Greg Andre » Fri, 06 Dec 2002 03:31:15

>The /etc/printers.conf file contains details of the printers installed on the
>machine.
>    It will need to be modified thus:-

Please don't do that.  Editing the /etc/printers.conf file is usually
a mistake.  Use the lpadmin or lpset commands instead.

  -Greg
--
Do NOT reply via e-mail.
Reply in the newsgroup.

1. Newbie Needs Help - Configuring Printer

I installed Linux 2.0.29 / Slackware 3.2 last week.  Everything is
okay so far except the printer configuration.  I have a HP
Deskjet 400 connected to LP1.

Typing 'ls > /dev/lp2' will successfully list all the directories to
the printer (although with staircase appearance).  However,
when I type

  'ls | lpr' or 'lpr [a text file]'

I get an error

I have edited the /etc/printcap file to refer the lp to /dev/lp2 and
set the netconfig to loopback.

I appreciate if someone out there can help.  Thanks in advance.

Steven

2. ftp errors for binary transfer!!

3. HOW DO I - Configure an Inkjet Printer as a Postscript Printer ?

4. PGP filesystem info

5. How to configure a EPSON 570 dox matrix printer to be a network printer?

6. DIP: Unknown Server Error, help!

7. newbie question: configuring keyboard

8. Error Log Entries

9. Newbie question...configuring kernel

10. Configuring PCCARD Slots (Newbie Question)

11. Newbie question: Configuring LILO's default setting

12. How to configure Sounds on Linux (newbie question)

13. Newbie PHP configure error question