driver: receiving interrupt from another drivers hardware

driver: receiving interrupt from another drivers hardware

Post by Philip Bro » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 04:30:29

2 related * low-level driver questions:

Lets say I wanted to have one driver handle hardware interrupts for another
driver that actualy binds to the hardware.
 ("bottom" == driver attached to hardware
  "top"    == driver that wants to hook into "bottom")

Is the best way to do that,

 A)  to have some kind of API in the "bottom" driver
    that calls ddi_add_intr() directly registering a "top" function to call

 B)  to have some kind of API in the "bottom" driver
    that calls ddi_add_intr() on its own function, which then calls
      a registered function in the "top" module

 C) ??

second related question: What about if I dont get to change the source code
in the "bottom" driver, but know it doesnt register an interrupt handler.
Is there a way for me to "steal" the interrupt in an efficient manner?
Is it as simple as the "top" driver figuring out the "dip" info for the
"bottom" driver, and calling ddi_add_intr() for itself?

Can I also use ddi_regs_map_setup with the other driver's dip information?
 [oops, thats a third question :-)]

The word of the day is mispergitude

1. Printer driver Hardware Interrupt Driven

Hi Greeting,
  Appreciate some more pointer on the structure of Linux documentation
so that I know where to look for what (for application programming C,
Perl, Python)

  I use the Mandrake-Linux 6.0 dist. and also got the RedHat Power tools
CD.

Specifically, at this stage, where is the documentation for
a. the kernel driver and use of the kernel printer driver in interrupt
driven mode
b. Linux OS level API (Is there an tutorial and ref. on those CD or
downloadable from WEB?)
c. Linux shell command (e.g mv, ls. The on line man is running. Any
better tutorial?)

Basically, I would appreciate pointers (on my the distribution CD or
WEB) toward area:
a) tutorial and other education/training/instruction materials on
Linux/Unix programming and system admin.

b) manuals (man pages or is there an HTML style man with search and
indexing?)

TIA

Simon

2. ppp and startup script issue

3. How can I know kernel has received interrupt from ISA card and execute interrupt service routine?

4. Dell Latitude CPi

5. Drivers, Drivers, Drivers!

6. Boot from network

7. SIS7012/K7S5A: ALSA, Kernel driver, SIS's driver... best driver choice?

8. Bill Gates vs Hitler Quote

9. Drivers, Drivers, Drivers

10. how to write 2.2.X driver to receive parameter for linux module in load time

11. Receiving problem in Realtek RTL8139D(L) network card driver implementation

12. How do I prove that no receive live_lock occured in Intel e100 driver?

13. Multicast receives in packet driver