Booting x86 Solaris 2.5 to single user from CD

Booting x86 Solaris 2.5 to single user from CD

Post by Steven Park » Sun, 30 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Is there a non-kadb way to boot Solaris 2.5 to single user from the CD?
Some good spot to get the install procedure to kick you to a shell?

The problem is that the Sun-supplied kadb mechanism isn't working for
Solaris 2.5.  It works fine with 2.4, but under 2.5, with either the
original boot diskette or using the DU3 diskette pair, after adding
` -s' to the kadb command, the kernel/de* hits a trap before
reaching another prompt.  The trap causes the de* to loop, it looks
like before the kernel is ever loaded.

We're still running 2.4 and I can't move to 2.5 if I can't do a full
disaster-recovery restore from the CD.

Booting x86 Solaris 2.5 to single user from CD

Post by Andrew Gabri » Sun, 30 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Is there a non-kadb way to boot Solaris 2.5 to single user from the CD?
>Some good spot to get the install procedure to kick you to a shell?

>The problem is that the Sun-supplied kadb mechanism isn't working for
>Solaris 2.5.  It works fine with 2.4, but under 2.5, with either the
>original boot diskette or using the DU3 diskette pair, after adding
>` -s' to the kadb command, the kernel/de* hits a trap before
>reaching another prompt.  The trap causes the de* to loop, it looks
>like before the kernel is ever loaded.

>We're still running 2.4 and I can't move to 2.5 if I can't do a full
>disaster-recovery restore from the CD.

Boot from the boot floppy and installation CDROM as though you were
going to install. When it gets to the prompt for interactive or
jumpstart, ignore what it says and type "b -s".
This is covered in the System Administrator Answerbook (not included
with Desktop systems).

Another option is to continue with the interactive installation up
to the point where you have openwindows running, and then ignore the
installation windows and open up another cmdtool from the root menu,
which you can use to do your work. This way you can have multiple
windows, but it takes longer to get there.

--

1. Solaris x86: boot single user from CD

Hi.

I need to boot in single user mode a Solaris x86 machine from the
installation CD-ROM, to recover a disk that seems badly damaged (system does
not boot, neither in single user mode).

On a Sparc machine I would press <Stop-A> followed by a "boot cdrom -s" at
the <ok> prompt and then try to mount the disk for fsck.

Is there a way to do something similar on an Intel machine?

Thanks in advance.

Fabio.

2. Apache, mod_gzip and Internet Explorer

3. Booting Solaris 9 x86 in single user mode from the install CD

4. SunOs 4.1 rebooting problem!

5. FS: Solaris 2.5 Desktop (CDE) and/or Solaris 2.5 Server Packages for x86 desktops

6. BRU - Seagate SCSI drive

7. Solaris 2.5 x86 and NEC CD-ROM

8. vga0 and vga1?

9. CD-ROM can not mounted under Solaris 2.5 x86

10. Q: solaris 2.5 x86 installation problem (CD-ROM)

11. how to install solaris 2.5 x86 to 2.5 gig WD HD

12. ATAPI CD Roms and Solaris 2.5 x86

13. WTB: Solaris 2.5/x86 compatible SCSI CD-ROM drive