sharing floppy drive

Post by Ed Vigmo » Wed, 24 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I am having trouble sharing my floppy drive under 2.5. I have set the
appropriate line in /etc/rmmount.conf. I get a message from share_nfs
saying: Operation not applicable. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Ed Vigmond

sharing floppy drive

Post by Lee Dunc » Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:00:00

EV> I am having trouble sharing my floppy drive under 2.5. I have set
EV> the appropriate line in /etc/rmmount.conf. I get a message from
EV> share_nfs saying: Operation not applicable. Does anyone have any
EV> ideas?  Thanks

Ed:

You're probably seeing the "Operation not applicable" message because
you're putting in a PCFS (DOS/Windoze95) floppy.  These can't be
shared using normal NFS.  (I *think* they can be shared via PC/NFS,
but that may be totally wrong, so don't quote me.)

You can ignore this message (unless you want to share PCFS! (;^|)
--

He who wonders discovers that this in itself is wonder.  -- M. C. Escher

sharing floppy drive

Post by Willard F. Daws » Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>You're probably seeing the "Operation not applicable" message because
>you're putting in a PCFS (DOS/Windoze95) floppy.  These can't be
>shared using normal NFS.  (I *think* they can be shared via PC/NFS,
>but that may be totally wrong, so don't quote me.)
>You can ignore this message (unless you want to share PCFS! (;^|)

I've been told that Linux does allow you to share pcfs... or whichever
is their equivalent filesystem.  I guess you'd need another Linux box to
mount it, though?

1. rescue floppy for LS-120/ATAPI floppy drive

My file system seems to have corrupted overnight running SuSE 7.1.  Not
sure if it rebooted (I have a UPS, but not monitored) or fell back to
runlevel 1 when it got stuck accessing the disk (possibly due to heat
which was only up to around 85 degress F).

When it tries to fsck my / during reboot it drops to single mode after:
hdb: dma-intr: error=0x40 {Unrecoverable Error}, LBAsect=14771969,
sector 14681184
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:45 (hdb), sector 14681184
Error reading block 1835748 (Attempt to read block from filesystem
resulted in short read) while doing inode scan.

Anyway I made a tomsrtbt rescue floppy and it boots from a
standard floppy drive on the computer it was created on, but not the one
with the problem.  It correctly identifies hdc as LS-120, ATAPI floppy
(the floppy being booted from) and hdd as DVD-ROM, but later hangs
during or after a partition check of hdc (which has no partitions).

I could install another copy of SuSE on empty space on that hard drive,
but is there a rescue floppy version that can boot from an ATAPI floppy?

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/

2. 2.4.2-a6 + ac7 -- OOPS on Athlon during boot -- invalid operand: 0000 in process lsmod

3. Floppy controller throughput for floppy tape drives - request

4. Developing with MODEM!

5. hdb: NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:260, ATAPI cdrom or floppy?, assuming FLOPPY

6. Kdrive and Gnom

7. Using USB floppy drive for root floppy

8. ttypxx connections flakey??

9. Floppy controller throughput for floppy tape drives - request

10. Q: How to read 3.5'' floppies without floppy drive ?

11. Unable to access or mount hard drive/floppy drive from Rescue mode

12. Taper - Backup software for tape drives, floppies, files, ZIP drives...

13. TAPER 6.8.0a4 - Backup software for tape drives, floppies, ZIP drives, files