using dhcp to set interface speed/mode

Post by Ben Fitzgeral » Thu, 28 Oct 2004 02:09:59

Hi,

I'm jumpstarting boxes using a in.dhcpd on a solaris
box. I can get the client to talk to the server, get
the jumpstart vendor params back to the client and
have the client install start.

My problem is that when I put "dhcp" in my syscfgid
file the box goes back to the dhcp server, gets the
ip again and promptly falls over because the
interface tries to autoneg on a port hard-coded to
100fdx. Is there a way I can set the interface to be
100fdx either in the sysidcfg file or as a parameter
passed across by in.dhcpd?

Thanks in advance,

--
Ben Fitzgerald
Registered Linux user number 339435

Post by Dave Mine » Fri, 29 Oct 2004 04:46:08

> Hi,

> I'm jumpstarting boxes using a in.dhcpd on a solaris
> box. I can get the client to talk to the server, get
> the jumpstart vendor params back to the client and
> have the client install start.

> My problem is that when I put "dhcp" in my syscfgid
> file the box goes back to the dhcp server, gets the
> ip again and promptly falls over because the
> interface tries to autoneg on a port hard-coded to
> 100fdx. Is there a way I can set the interface to be
> 100fdx either in the sysidcfg file or as a parameter
> passed across by in.dhcpd?

You'd have to set that in the driver config file on the root filesystem.
  See the man page for your network device.

Dave

Post by Ben Fitzgeral » Sat, 30 Oct 2004 18:28:19

>> Hi,

<snip>
>> My problem is that when I put "dhcp" in my syscfgid
>> file the box goes back to the dhcp server, gets the
>> ip again and promptly falls over because the
>> interface tries to autoneg on a port hard-coded to
>> 100fdx. Is there a way I can set the interface to be
>> 100fdx either in the sysidcfg file or as a parameter
>> passed across by in.dhcpd?

> You'd have to set that in the driver config file on the root filesystem.
>   See the man page for your network device.

Dave,

Thanks for confirming that. I'm using a 100fdx boot tree now.

--
Ben Fitzgerald
Registered Linux user number 339435

1. setting link speed/mode for eri interface?

Hello!

I cannot just do "ndd -set /dev/eri link_mode 1", since that
parameter (as well as adv_autoneg_cap) is read-only. How
can I change those parameters then?

WBR, Andrew
--
Andrew Zhilenko, AZ283-RIPE
System Manager

see Disclaimer http://www.nextra.cz/disclaimer/

2. SAMBA File Locking Problem

3. set network interface to promiscous mode set with ioctl

4. ___rsrc undefined in lib*.a

5. How to determine speed and mode of ethernet interface

6. Simultaneous Multiple Xfree86?

7. interfaces speed and mode

8. PCMCIA: MELCO LPC3-TX not recognized

9. network interface speed needs setting?

10. Setting duplex mode / speed for NIC

11. How to query and set the speed of Network Interface Card

12. how to set interface speed of rtl8139

13. Setting interface speed for a network card