Hardware Serial Number?

Post by jowensn » Wed, 12 Feb 2003 23:57:53

Is there a command I can run from Solaris to give me the hardware serial
number?

Thanks,

Jerry

Hardware Serial Number?

Post by Paul Floy » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 05:58:01

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:57:53 -0500, jowensnh

Quote:> Is there a command I can run from Solaris to give me the hardware serial
> number?

Do you mean hostid?

A bientot
Paul
--
Paul Floyd                 http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth)
Netgear: the worst technical support I've ever encountered.

Hardware Serial Number?

Post by Ed Wensell II » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:44:23

> Is there a command I can run from Solaris to give me the hardware serial
> number?

> Thanks,

> Jerry

If you mean the serial number on the back of the system (which Sun
support typically needs), no. The only way to get that number is to
physcially look at the box.

The hostid usually does not suffice because it can be reprogrammed on
most systems.

--
Ed Wensell III - E-mail address is valid if you know the right bits to
drop.

There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.
- Ken Olsen, President & founder of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977

Hardware Serial Number?

Post by Scott Howar » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:42:17

> Is there a command I can run from Solaris to give me the hardware serial
> number?

On older machines, no.

On newer machines (all Ultrasparc III machines except for the SF280R), yes.

man prtfru   for details

  Scott

Hardware Serial Number?

Post by srive » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 15:02:38

> On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:57:53 -0500, jowensnh

> > Is there a command I can run from Solaris to give me the hardware serial
> > number?

> Do you mean hostid?

> A bientot
> Paul

sysdef -h
regards
Srivenu

Hardware Serial Number?

Post by Tim O'Neil » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:58:29

Here's a tip that I have been using for several years.  Enter the System's
serial number into the 'hardware-revision' of  the eeprom.  Either enter it
at the monitor prompt (e.g. hardware-revision [System S/N], or via the
'eeprom' command (e.g. eeprom "hardware-revision=[System S/N]".  You can
then retrieve the information at anytime via the 'eeprom' command.  This has
saved me numerous trips into equipment rooms, remote sites, and equipment
racks with no lighting.

Quote:> Is there a command I can run from Solaris to give me the hardware serial
> number?

> Thanks,

> Jerry

Hardware Serial Number?

Post by john » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 06:18:18

> > Is there a command I can run from Solaris to give me the hardware serial
> > number?

> On older machines, no.

> On newer machines (all Ultrasparc III machines except for the SF280R),
yes.

> man prtfru   for details

>   Scott

On E450's you can get it by using eeprom | grep -i ser   I havn't found any
other models that do this yet.

Hardware Serial Number?

Post by Ibrahi » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:37:20

you can try

hostid

it is available in solaris 8.

-ibrahim

>On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:57:53 -0500, jowensnh

>> Is there a command I can run from Solaris to give me the hardware serial
>> number?

>Do you mean hostid?

>A bientot
>Paul

Hardware Serial Number?

Post by Richard L. Hamilt » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 20:28:08

>> > Is there a command I can run from Solaris to give me the hardware serial
>> > number?

>> On older machines, no.

>> On newer machines (all Ultrasparc III machines except for the SF280R),
> yes.

>> man prtfru   for details

>>   Scott

> On E450's you can get it by using eeprom | grep -i ser   I havn't found any
> other models that do this yet.

Some folks like to put it in the oem-banner eeprom variable as soon as
they unbox and power-up the system; that way it's consistently available
thereafter.  If there's an in-house property control number, it could go
in there too, separated by some consistently used delimiter.

--

Hardware Serial Number?

Post by Dan Rawso » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 23:13:08

> you can try

> hostid

> it is available in solaris 8.

> -ibrahim

>>On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:57:53 -0500, jowensnh

>>>Is there a command I can run from Solaris to give me the hardware serial
>>>number?

>>Do you mean hostid?

>>A bientot
>>Paul

Interestingly enough, I get three different values for this:

For my Ultra-10

Back of the case:       TW21990xxxxx
prom banner:            51603xxx
sysinfo(SI_HW_SERIAL):  21908xxxx

All different lengths, all different values.  Which one is the REAL hardware serial number????

Who knows . . . .

Dan

Hardware Serial Number?

Post by Dan Rawso » Sat, 15 Mar 2003 23:49:23

>>Interestingly enough, I get three different values for this:

>>For my Ultra-10

>>Back of the case:       TW21990xxxxx
>>prom banner:            51603xxx
>>sysinfo(SI_HW_SERIAL):  21908xxxx

>>All different lengths, all different values.  Which one is the REAL hardware
>>serial number????

> Depends on who's asking.  If it's the SUN responce center, they want the
> back of the case #, which is on your service contract.  It's not stored
> programatically on the system unless a forward thinking sysadmin put it
> into the eeprom.  hostid is used by flexlm and other software like
> Veritas Volume Manager to license software to your system.  Other
> software might use the MAC address of your NIC.

I just wonder what the value of sysinfo() is if you get some third completely unknown number from it <g>.  The man page says
      SI_HW_SERIAL
            Copy into the array pointed to by  buf a string  which
            is  the  ASCII representation of the hardware-specific
            serial number of the physical  machine  on  which  the
            function  is  executed.  Note  that this may be imple-
            mented in Read-Only Memory, using  software  constants
            set  when  building  the operating system, or by other
            means, and may contain non-numeric characters.  It  is
            anticipated that manufacturers will not issue the same
            "serial number" to more than one physical machine. The
            pair   of  strings  returned  by   SI_HW_PROVIDER  and
            SI_HW_SERIAL  is  likely  to  be  unique  across   all
            vendor's SVR4 implementations.

Maybe it's the dartboard approach to system identification.  On my Solaris/Intel box, sysinfo() returns a number which
is equally un-related to any of the numbers printed anywhere on the system!

Dan

Hardware Serial Number?

Post by Pick » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 02:27:51

On a sparc machine, the serial number is a decimal derrivation of the
last 3 hex octets of the ethernet address.

echo "Serial number is $(echo "obase = 10; ibase = 16; `hostid | cut -c
3-8 | sed 's/://g' | tr '[:lower:]' '[:upper:]'`" | bc)"

Hardware Serial Number?

Post by Pick » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 02:31:34

On a sparc machine, the serial number is a decimal derrivation of the
last 3 hex octets of the ethernet address.

echo "Serial number is $(echo "obase = 10; ibase = 16; `hostid | cut -c
3-8 | sed 's/://g' | tr '[:lower:]' '[:upper:]'`" | bc)"

Sorry, this command is run with ksh...

Hardware Serial Number?

Post by Richard L. Hamilt » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 04:20:57

[...]

Quote:> I just wonder what the value of sysinfo() is if you get some third completely unknown number from it <g>.  The man page says
>       SI_HW_SERIAL
>             Copy into the array pointed to by  buf a string  which
>             is  the  ASCII representation of the hardware-specific
>             serial number of the physical  machine  on  which  the
>             function  is  executed.  Note  that this may be imple-
>             mented in Read-Only Memory, using  software  constants
>             set  when  building  the operating system, or by other
>             means, and may contain non-numeric characters.  It  is
>             anticipated that manufacturers will not issue the same
>             "serial number" to more than one physical machine. The
>             pair   of  strings  returned  by   SI_HW_PROVIDER  and
>             SI_HW_SERIAL  is  likely  to  be  unique  across   all
>             vendor's SVR4 implementations.

SI_HW_SERIAL is the hostid, only in decimal instead of hexidecimal.

Quote:> Maybe it's the dartboard approach to system identification.  On my Solaris/Intel box, sysinfo() returns a number which
> is equally un-related to any of the numbers printed anywhere on the system!

Aside from the methods previously mentioned that only apply to quite new
models (which I have not had occasion to verify), the number printed on
the case is flat out not stored in the system unless you stick it in the
oem-banner yourself.  Not anywhere at all.  No matter how many times you
ask.  This whole discussion has gone on a few times in the past, and folks
that should know (some of the smart Sun guys) have said the same thing.
The answer won't change by talking about it more, no matter what the angle.

[If prtfru does the trick on new systems, then perhaps the repeated asking
of the same damn question at least persuaded Sun to do something to change
the answer.]

--

1. hardware serial numbers

Hello,

Is it somehow possible to retrieve (programmatically, of course) the
manufacturer's serial number of the hard disk or some other devices?
What I have in mind is, of course, piracy protection - if I can get the
s/n of the hard disk, I can more or less insure that the program is used
on this particular machine only.

I am sorry, that my message is not compliant to Open Source spirit, from
which Linux has grown, I really appreciate it, but there may be certain
situations when some data *must* be protected from copying...

Thanks in advance.

Yours,

Dmitri

2. "LIL-"

3. firmware serial number and physical disk serial number

4. Dual monitors

5. Hardware/software serial numbers

6. Perl script inside a bash prompt?

7. Solaris 9: no Serial Number for non SUN sd hardware

8. Bug in Apache 1.3.12 with ErrorDocument 401?

9. Number Nine....Number Nine....Number Nine

10. HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE

11. External Slot number to AIX hardware address mapping on rspc and chrp machines

12. 7026-H70 Hardware or FRU number reference

13. Hardware limits on numbers of threads?