TCP configuration, Solaris2.3

Post by Chris P Sulliv » Wed, 13 Jul 1994 06:16:07

I am kinda new to this system admin stuff, I was
wondering what utilities and/or config files
affect the behaviour of TCP on Solaris.

We have been having problems with SQLNet for
our Oracle database where some daemon tcp
processes hang out for days at time, bogging
down the system.  Someone at Oracle mentioned
a keep-alive parameter for tcp, of course,
the person at Oracle couldn't tell me how
to configure it or where to find information
on it.  Apparently, this parameter causes
hung processes to be killed in a specific
amount of time, without a setting they
stay indefinately, which is the problem
we have encountered.

Any help on this or where to find such
help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris Sullivan

TCP configuration, Solaris2.3

Post by Casper H.S. D » Wed, 13 Jul 1994 17:21:44

Quote:>We have been having problems with SQLNet for
>our Oracle database where some daemon tcp
>processes hang out for days at time, bogging
>down the system.  Someone at Oracle mentioned
>a keep-alive parameter for tcp, of course,
>the person at Oracle couldn't tell me how
>to configure it or where to find information
>on it.  Apparently, this parameter causes
>hung processes to be killed in a specific
>amount of time, without a setting they
>stay indefinately, which is the problem
>we have encountered.

The keepalive parameter must be set by the programs
that hang around now by doing a setsockopt() on
the socket file descriptor.  If Oracle has written
those daemons, they must set the keepalive.

When set, keepalive probes will be send when the connection is
idle for `ndd /dev/tcp tcp_keepalive_interval` milliseconds.
After which time the normal TCP/IP timers take over, cuasing
a connection timeout in `ndd /dev/tcp tcp_ip_abort_interval`
milliseconds.  This latter interval is too short by default
(two minutes).  We use 20 minutes, though 30 minutes would
probably more in keeping with the standards.

Casper

Post by Richard De » Wed, 13 Jul 1994 21:25:01

[...]

One of our Oracle DBAs game me a sheet from Oracle explaining
how to fix the problem...there is a header file in
/usr/include/netinet called tcp_timer.h where there is a
#define TCPTV_KEEP_IDLE.  This must be set to a lower number.

My question, though, is this; the above is great if you're
writing your own programs, but is there a variable you
can set in /etc/system to do the same?  Otherwise, their
workaround is worthless.

Thanks,

Richard

1. Solaris2.6 TCP/IP faces Solaris2.5.1.

Hi,All.

I need an advice on the following:
I'm porting a tcp/ip client server application from Solaris2.5.1 to
Solaris2.6
On Solaris2.6 I'm getting different sockets behavior than on
Solaris2.5.1 , For example
accept function failed, or connection refused.

As there any change in the TCP/IP layer between those two operating
systems ?

Any help/suggestions will be appreciate
Eyal.

--
Eyal Haviv.
Product Manager.

2. Q: how to setup an answering machine?

3. Solaris 2.5.1 TCP/IP faces Solaris2.6 TCP/IP

4. Reading STDIN to a bash CGI

5. Criticism of solaris2.x tcp/ip stack

6. Apache WWW setup

7. Nasty TCP bug from 2.1.0 to Solaris2.6

8. encodings

9. TCP Port Binding Problem (Beginner Question-Solaris2.6

10. WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY FTP SERVER - Configuration under Solaris2.3

11. Where is the Imake Configuration files for Motif on Solaris2.4?

12. TCP Port Binding Problem (Beginner Question-Solaris2.6

13. UUCP configuration on solaris2.3/2.4