Enterprise 450 power on/power up problem woes

Enterprise 450 power on/power up problem woes

Post by Roger P. Johnso » Sun, 15 Aug 2004 08:57:17

I've got an E450 that is giving me problems trying to power up.
I bought it used 2 years ago (used, suppose to be a Sun re manufactured
box).

This machine started out with just 2 power supplies in it.
About 1 year ago after a power outage, I power on the machine but it
won't come on. I look in the back at the 2 power supplies and on each
power supply I only have the first 2 of the 3 green lights lit.
So I turn it off and reseat the power supplies. Turn in on
(off/on?/off/on?) and then all 3 lights of each power supply are lit and
she boots up.

2 Days ago, I bought 2 used power supplies and tried them both out on
this machine to test them while it was running (hot swap). Both power
supplies lit up with 3 green lights. So I left one in this E450 so it
now has N+1 redundancy (3 total).

Now, today I power it down to add a DDS-3 tape drive. Install the tape
drive, power it up all OK. Until I realise the tape drive needs to be ID
5. So I power it down and do all the fixing. Power it up and now on all
3 power supplies, again only 2 of the 3 green lights are lit. Well I
then turn it off, tighten the front panel to the chassis thinking it
needs to be really grounded. Power it on and she starts up. But, now all
my drives on controller 2 are "missing". Power it off, jiggle the SCSI
cables etc. Turn the power switch on and now all 3 power supplies show
only 2 of 3 green lights on. She won't power up. Try reseating the power
supplies - no go. Put the other power supply that was good in to see
what it does, it too shows only 2 of 3 green lights on.
Turn off/on/off/on/off/on/off*it went home. Here I am.

Anyone have any idea what is going on? I cannot find any doc's covering
what each light on the power supply means. Or how to proceed from here.
This is a secondary server and I don't have a service contract on it.
The missing drives on the controller I can trouble shoot. But this
intermittent power supply problem I can't. I'm at my wits end here.
Help.

-Roger

Enterprise 450 power on/power up problem woes

Post by Andrew Tyso » Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:05:18

Roger,

Quote:> Turn off/on/off/on/off/on/off*it went home. Here I am.

Check out the Note for the E450 PS on sunsolve - it may be of help

http://www.veryComputer.com/

The following link is from the E450 documentation collection and contains a
description of the
PS leds.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

HTH
Andrew

Post by Roger P. Johnso » Thu, 19 Aug 2004 07:23:48

> Roger,

>>Turn off/on/off/on/off/on/off*it went home. Here I am.

> Check out the Note for the E450 PS on sunsolve - it may be of help

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

Andrew, thanks! This was the cause! Had to turn the key to diagnostic
mode then back to on and I could hear the power supplies go "click" and
all the power supply lights came on (ie boots up too). Thanks very much!
-Roger
Quote:> The following link is from the E450 documentation collection and contains a